Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to get Midsurface for part?

ncmbhckplncmbhckpl Member Posts: 5
I want to get Middle surface (horizontal) for this part, but i couldnt. 

I need help emergency.
Thank u.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Do you mean the mid-surface of the entire part (for simulation)? Or the mid-plane (use midplane option in Plane feature)?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Midplane option of the plane feature will work fine if you just want to get a plane in between two planar surfaces. If you want a middle surface for the entire part you'll need to use Offset with a value equal to half the thickness.
  • ncmbhckplncmbhckpl Member Posts: 5
    Yes i mean mid-surface of the entire part for shell meshing, i tried Offset all part but left and right ears of part was drawn on different planes. So i could not.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    If it’s all one part you should be able to use offset surface. Can you share the URL?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This part looks like it's sheet metal, but it's not really modeled like sheet metal, which makes shell meshing a bit sketchy. The material thickness varies anywhere from .77mm to 4.2mm. So if you wanted a true midsurface, you'd have to stitch together multiple Offset surfaces. 
  • Paul_15Paul_15 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    mahir said:
    Midplane option of the plane feature will work fine if you just want to get a plane in between two planar surfaces. If you want a middle surface for the entire part you'll need to use Offset with a value equal to half the thickness.

How would the offset work if the opposing faces are not a constant distance apart?
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    edited April 2023
    Paul_15 said:
    How would the offset work if the opposing faces are not a constant distance apart?
    I think if the part itself isn't an even thickness, it will have to get more manual. Here's an example with two thicknesses, and also one where the opposing faces are at an angle. These are generic examples of how to expand on the workflows above, but not how I'd actually model the parts below.

For anything more complex (like compound curved surfaces that are different), then it's not something Onshape is set up for aside from just manually modeling the middle surface, but something like the Tween command in Rhino would do it. One could also make a custom onshape feature to approximate it, but that sounds pretty tough to me.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Which FEA program are you using?