Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Workshop Table in Onshape CAD Tutorial (Including Cut List) | Start to Finish in 10 Minutes

alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
I made my first real full-length CAD tutorial! It's a 10-minute edited, guided modeling session showing how to make a wooden workbench in Onshape using the Beams FeatureScript (including a cutlist!). It's simple, using just 2x4s, 4x4s, a sheet of 1/2" plywood, and wood screws (added to taste by the assembler). Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snHprtaROV8
Please let me know what I could do better if you have the time to watch it!
Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev

Comments

• Options
    michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    I liked the video. I will be sending it to my brother who is learning cad for his furniture design!

It was quick and to the point and you showed off many quality of life features that regular users use all the time (hotkeys, cad.new, etc...). I also saw many tips on good practices such as the skeleton surface, creating a plane before hand, & a simple explanation of when to use construction geometry. Overall, there was a lot of info which was delivered quickly, but I didnt get the feeling it was too much or confusing.

The only suggestions I have are to explain that the beams featurescript should be linked and not copied & a little more explanation why the beams feature was done multiple times for the legs. I know why, but it may be good for new users.

Good work!

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,394
    Excellent video @alnis_smidchens - some observations (nitpicks, really :) ):
    1. Beams 3 & 4 could have been done in one feature by applying butt joints at the corners.
    2. Mirroring parts for legs and cross beams may have been quicker.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    @michael_mcclain Thank you for the kind words and the suggestions/feedback! I will definitely cover those points in the next tutorial I make that uses the Beams FeatureScript. They definitely should have been in this one.

@NeilCooke Thanks for the kind words and the feedback! I got too excited about the trim to face feature and forgot about butt joints :smile: I definitely should have covered those two points!

I think I should probably make a second tutorial keeping all of these suggestions in mind. I was thinking one about using REV Aluminum Extrusion custom profiles could be good since it's a cheap build system used by lots of FIRST Tech Challenge teams and hobbyists. It would also demonstrate working with custom profiles with the Beams FeatureScript which would be applicable to companies using custom internal extrusions. Plus, I could show off some nifty tricks for efficiently adding lots of T-slot nuts & gusset plates to an extrusion-based assembly.

Thanks again for all of the very valuable feedback!
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev