Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

curve in PDF file seems to have a ton of unneeded points

Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
I opened a PDF file up in some vector software and discovered that a simple curve had a ton of points, I was quite surprised by this since the shape should only need 7 points.  Is there a reason Onshape seems to be exporting curves like this, or a way to export a "simplified" curve?

I have attached an Onshape PDF drawing with a few simple shapes (exported from this file). 

The top circle has what I would expect, just four points.

The other curves have a huge number of points!  This "fat blue line" is really a ton of points all highlighted from a window select.  If I zoom way way in I eventually can see the individual points.

This is what I was expecting to see, just 7 points.
(I drew this as a circle and a rectangle and combined/merged them in the vector software Affinity Designer.)

Tagged:

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    PDF output is for viewing and printing, not vector editing, so we are just converting the drawing graphics as-is (a circle in computer graphics is just a polyline). 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Ok, thank you @NeilCooke
    We are sending PDF drawings to a laser cutter which is why I had noticed this in the first place. Sometimes not ideal with all those extra points. But I totally understand from Onshape's perspective that is probably not something you would suggest or expect a user to be doing with PDF drawings.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If sending to a laser cutter, perhaps exporting as DXF would be a better option.
    @mahir I can do (and have done) that, but it's a Glowforge laser cutter and for whatever reason the Glowforge company decided they don't want to support DXF.  Something about it's not a standardized enough format to support.  What the heck, right? 

So if I export a DXF I need an intermediate step (i'm using Inkscape) to open the DXF and save as an SVG for the laser.  Or if I export as PDF I have now discovered I can open it in Affinity Designer, do a Select All and run a "smooth curve" command that does a nice job of optimizing the nodes, and then save as PDF or SVG for the laser.  I was, of course, just hoping avoid the intermediate step each time.
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    What about using a cloud conversion tool for that intermediate step? (e.g. https://convertio.co/dxf-svg/)
    Maybe that produces nice nodes...
    Thank you @fnxf that's a good idea I will check out a bit more and keep in mind.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I've confirmed that when exporting as DXF and then opening in Inkscape you don't get all the extra points. And I suspect that if then converted to PDF via Inkscape that the extra points wouldn't be there either if using the appropriate conversion settings... maybe.