Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

3 point plane is rotated?

Hi there!

I'm quite new to Onshape, not a total newb to CAD though. This is something that had been baffeling me:

I need to make a new plane that is not parallel to any surfaces I've made. The three-point option seems the way to go. First I used three points that were part of the construction I already did. The plane formed in the way I expected, only... it was rotated. No biggy, I thought, the plane is correct so I can just use it. Turns out that it actually causes a LOT of nuisances in using dimensions and most importantly in exporting DWG and making drawings. 

So I rolled back to just before the plane and decided to make a little new point in space that is the perfect center of the plane I want to make. See image below. This point is not attached to the back section btw, it floats and I used another new plane to put it in the correct place. So now I was expecting a perfectly aligned plane. But to my great surprise, it is rotated again. 

Can anyone help me out here? I'm probably missing something super obvious being new to the software...

Thanks and kind regards

Best Answer

Answers