Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extrude From Vertex?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but is there a way to do the equivalent of Solidworks' extrude from vertex?

My Solidworks workflow over the years has evolved where I primarily sketch a few orthogonal layouts early in the model on the default planes, and then extrude from vertices in sketches up to vertices in the sketches. I do most of my extrusion sketching on the default planes, but extrude from/to vertices that are off of the sketch planes. I use this as a way of adding draft in the extrude feature from the tops of bosses or ribs. It's also a way to avoid adding a ton of planes.

I know there are interesting things that can be done with the "second direction" part of the extrude command and the offset option. What I'm not seeing is a way to have extrusion draft reference anything other than the sketch plane.

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @S1mon Yes similar to offset from plane?  You can use the second direction to be up to vertex and have the first direction add from there.  This essentially does what you are looking for.  Draft would need to be done as a separate feature as it is still from the sketch plane.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi @S1mon - you can thank me for that feature in SolidWorks :smile:. Other users have requested this too - please create a ticket using Contact Support in the Help menu to add your vote.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @S1mon

NeilCooke said:
    Hi @S1mon - you can thank me for that feature in SolidWorks
    So it sounds like @NeilCooke made this tool or feature you liked and used in SolidWorks

S1mon said:
    ... I use this as a way of adding draft  ...  from the tops of bosses or ribs.
    Did you know that Neil also made a Screw Boss FeatureScript for Onshape that has draft and ribs for the bosses and chamfer at the top of the ribs and it’s all adjustable

If you don’t have this tool yet, here is the link

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5738c86de4b06c68b35e68a5/w/6c69df608d3406005d90482a/e/2b06e2e693176a3cc55be614

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    @steve_shubin

I've seen that screw boss featurescript. At some point, I'll take a pass at making my own version to create the other boss that accepts the thread-forming screws. There are a bunch of features necessary, and ideally the FS would also have a drop-down for material type to cover the percent of engagement. 
    https://www.design-engineering.com/the-thermoformed-plastic-boss-a-how-to-guide-141831/