Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

how to draw part of assembly?

malet_jlmalet_jl Member Posts: 15
hello,
I have an assembly, that is configured using configuration variables, this assembly has sub assemblies, which are in turn configured with configuration variables, and parts that are in turn configured.... 
I now want to create a drawing for production, but I need to draw using the assembly configuration.... I didn't found a way to import a part configured from the assembly, I can import parts but the dimensions aren't good...
I can create exploded views, which is great, and in a way answer my needs, but on the exploded view, I can't hide some parts.... which makes impossible to only show what is required...
how can I do that?
thanks and regards

Best Answer

Answers

• malet_jlmalet_jl Member Posts: 15
    and how can I orient a part assembly to fit the axes? I can fix a part, but in drawing it will never be usable since top/bottom/left/right views are based on axes, and assemblies are "free to flight"?
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    You can mate parts to the origin or model them in the part studio in the orientation you want and "fix" one/group the others with the fixed one in the assembly.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
    not sure about what you means.... should I fix it in during part design?  the issue I have is that when I imported the parts I didn't fixed the reference one, so onshape moved all part during relationship, and now I don't know how to reorient the one I want to fix.. and I don't want to redoo all the job

oh, I understand.... I can create a mate connector with the origin, so better than fixing a part using rightClick->fix I created a fastened mate connector between one auto-mate and the auto-mate of the origin, now I can apply rotations to have it oriented as wanted....
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @malet_jl - use named views in the assembly to create the orientation you want in the drawing
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI