Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Parametrically set holes along a spiral pattern

I have this drum made out of a polygonal shape to which I want to add holes which are centred on each face except they are offset along the length of the drum for each subsequent face. In a way it's like having a spiral (as marked in red) around the drum to guide the position of the holes (in blue).

The number of faces on the drum can be parametrically set, and so the number holes too.

Best Answer

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO

That was the most efficient way i've seen it done. That's how I do my spiral chutes too.

• diogo_duarte944diogo_duarte944 Member Posts: 3

I think I understand the principle, but I failed to manage incrementing the variable #i Any hints?

• STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 74 PRO

@diogo_duarte944

I'm not sure exactly which variables you want control over, but there's a very "Onshapey" way to do this by patterning variable features. Here's an example. I'm essentially creating a "for loop" with variable features if that means anything to you. Since i use the "feature pattern" I'm able to make the variable called #i grow by 1 with each loop. Making other variables multiplied by #i, I can get them to grow by a specified step each time too.

Link to example isn't working anymore... :/
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @STEG try again. It ended up locked in our Enterprise after we converted, but I've moved it out and made it public again.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl