Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

3Dconnexion SpacePilot (not Pro) - has anyone mastered proper setup for 3D navigation in OS?

OK, I know, there are newer 3Dconnexion devices. Anyone has one - I'm jealous!
I'm not so heavy user of CAD systems to deserve such a luxury :-(
But now as I've been promoted to OS Pro user I decided to give another chance to that old friend in OS.

I have installed the last driver that supports that device. It works perfect in all Windows apps. (Win64 7Pro, 3DxWare64_v10-4-10_r2558)
It works in OS also but... navigation is awkward. In all other apps moving a 3D mouse moves/rotates an object in a way that resembles having a real object in a hand.  So, it's a camera view.
In OS, I can't set up panning, and rotation is affecting always object instead of a camera. No matter what is checked-up in a 3DCon Config panel.

Is anyone using such a dinosaur? Has managed to set it properly?

Answers

• T_RathierT_Rathier Member Posts: 43 EDU
    3DConnexion says right on their website, that it will not work with Onshape for Chrome, Firefox, Edge or Internet Explorer: https://3dconnexion.com/uk/support/faq/no-navigation-in-onshape/
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    edited December 2020
    I'm not sure how to get the old ones working. Even my new wireless one needs the server restarted sometimes.

To get my space mouse to work, sometimes I have to stop, then start the driver while the browser is closed. I have shortcuts created for this to speed things up. On windows, here is where the start and stop execution files are: 
    C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I've found that turning off the spacemouse and putting it back in its box to make room for a standard mouse works best for me ;-)
    I bought a spacemouse a year ago and if you can't tell I'm disappointed with it. Broke within three months, no customer service from 3DConnexion, nevermind that the device never did anything practical for me (beside just being fun to move around---but I don't spend $200 to get just a fun novelty).
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Yea, i used 3dconnexion spacemice and it's good for a few easy rotations, especially when mating a bunch of stuff up a spiral chute.. 

But the drivers are complete garbage. They ended up interfering with other apps. Especially any games that use an xbox controller. It completely hijacks the controller priority and it's a constant fight to fix stuff that you don't even use the mouse for.. 

I ended up uninstalling it and sometimes I miss it. But I don't miss the constant disconnects in my games.. And don't miss the constant resetting of the settings or the mouse bindings..