Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extruding shapes that are slots

mario_darceuilmario_darceuil Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
Hello I've made a lot of slots in my design and I want to exude them, somehow I'm having issues with this. The slots appear to not be fully constrained areas.  Please show me how I can extrude the slots straight through.

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Your link takes me in circles. 

I use a lot of slots with what i do too. Here is a feature that will do most of what you need all in one place. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5afccd5ef566ebe0825bd897/v/8c836b92655af8b260d994b1/e/4657c97252294d908102f7be

If that is the type of slot you are taking about at least 
  • mario_darceuilmario_darceuil Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    I just see code.
  • mario_darceuilmario_darceuil Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    The extruded through slot you are showing is exactly what I want. But how do I perform the extrusion? I just see a lot of code that you sent me.
    FS: Bolt Slot | Bolt Slot Test (onshape.com)

That was the code for the featurescript. There is a partstudio in there you can view as a sample.

Here is a GIF showing how to add the slot feature to your toolbar, and a quick demo of how to use it, also how to make a slot normally.

• robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That is nice. So much more versatile than the native slot feature in a sketch. I'm sure there is a caveat or two in applying the slot to a part rather than in a sketch. As a novice I will blindly move to using this Bolt Slot featurescript.  Thanks john_mcclary. - Scotty
    edited January 2021
    You just need a center point of any type (sketch point, mate connector, part corner, etc)

In the GIF i just used an in-line mate connector, treat the feature just like you would the built in Hole feature

Actually I believe the slot as a feature is better performance than explicitly sketching each slot. So the caveat is all good.

I've been doing it that way in SolidWorks since hole wizard added slots. But this feature is actually much better than the SolidWorks one
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I don't think I'd seen this feature yet. Cool one! I'll use it for sure. If you're feeling up for it, you could probably cannibalize the lookup tables and other parts of the hole feature to make it possible to pick standard screws and fit classes from a dropdown. The hole feature itself should support slots eventually in my opinion.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    Yea the hole feature should accommodate slots, but I couldn't wait for that to roll out. 
  • David_AbatanDavid_Abatan Member Posts: 1
    Very cool feature! How would I go about modifying this FS in order to make the slot a rectangular shape instead of having a radius on each end?