Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Oblique tube link

hi,

i need to draw an oblique tube like the one market by an arrow...  i done it, placing two planes (1 and 2) in the middle of the objects to merge. after this i done two sketches with two circle, and after i done a loft...

but this isn't the right way, because loft squeeze itself...

how can i do it in the right way?

Thanks

Answers

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 322 PRO
    Try using sweep. Sweep is a good feature for tubes and pipes. You will need one profile which is your circle, and a path for it to follow. Make sure the path is normal to your profile and connected to it.

• nicola_malagnininicola_malagnini Member Posts: 9 EDU
    Try using sweep. Sweep is a good feature for tubes and pipes. You will need one profile which is your circle, and a path for it to follow. Make sure the path is normal to your profile and connected to it.

yes. i used sweep for the other pipes that you can see in the picture. i've used 'ortho lines' + sweep. but i can use this solution only with the same or parallel planes, where i use straight pipes. but... if i have two parallel object, and i need to connect it's with a diagonal pipe? like the pics:

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 322 PRO
    For a more 3d approach, try using some custom features:
    Freeform spline by @Evan_Reese
    Wire / Pipe by @John_P_Desilets

• GlenDGlenD Member, OS Professional Posts: 232 PRO
    You can also use an extrude on a straight connection as your sample seems to be.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3eaf3e626a7a392b69bfffc7/w/5dca553846afdb7920f2356c/e/cc2eb7eff83819c560163af4
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 855 PRO
    For a more 3d approach, try using some custom features:
    Freeform spline by @Evan_Reese
    Wire / Pipe by @John_P_Desilets
    Thanks for the shoutout! In this case the native fit spline would also work, maybe with fewer clicks too.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    Instagram: @evan.reese.designs
  • GlenDGlenD Member, OS Professional Posts: 232 PRO
    The fit spline works quite well. With only 2 input points, it's a line in 3d space instead of on a plane. I use this sequence a lot since most of my tubes do not cut across any existing plane. I started sketching planes originally but it takes a bunch more work and can be a little confusing especially when there are offsets involved. As you say, less clicks. Much shorter feature list as the number of tubes per frame increases. In the busier studios I'll do things in a sequence that allows folders to go together cleanly making each tube and its features easy to find. Cant wait for the next on that has bent tubes so I can work with Evans 3d spline.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3eaf3e626a7a392b69bfffc7/w/5dca553846afdb7920f2356c/e/b6c5d936315637b3e47a795b
  • nicola_malagnininicola_malagnini Member Posts: 9 EDU
    Thanks !

3D spline and Freeform Spline works very well!!!
  • John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees Posts: 137
    I can't take credit for the wire / pipe custom feature. I wish I could but that was done by a member of our feature script team. I'm happy it is working for you!