Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - February 12th, 2021

mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 62
edited March 2021 in New in Onshape

Onshape is excited to host our first virtual user conference on Thursday, March 11, 2021, from 2:00 - 6:00 PM EST.

Register today here! 

Let's take a look at the new features in Onshape!

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

NEW DOCUMENT PANEL

Versions and History, Create Version, Comments, Where used (currently only Enterprise) and Tab manager icons are now grouped together on the left side of the screen in the new Document Panel. Clicking one of these icons opens the Document Panel to the left of the Feature/Instance list so the screen area is no longer obscured by individual dialog boxes. The Document Panel is expandable so the Version graph is easier to read and access and the icon panel allows space for future planned improvements.

ADD PREFIX/SUFFIX TO EXPORT FILENAME

To simplify the handling of exported files, it is now possible to automatically prefix or suffix additional information to the file names of exported data.
https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/1lytvoigo8?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

TAB SELECTION FOR "MOVE TO DOCUMENT"

If you want to move a tab to another document, you now have the choice of whether the tabs that contain references to the selected tab are also moved or remain in the current document.
https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/4vd1qkimo6?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

ABILITY TO REMOVE TOP LEVEL ITEMS FROM THE RELEASE MANAGEMENT DIALOG

If you are the creator of a release candidate, it is now possible to remove individual top level objects from the candidate without rejecting the entire package.
https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/llq3nolhmc?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640 

CONFIGURE ASSEMBLY NAME IN CONFIGURED ASSEMBLY PROPERTIES

Assembly names can now be configured from the Configured assembly properties table.

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

DUPLICATE SHEET IN SAME DRAWING TAB

Sometimes it is helpful to duplicate an entire drawing sheet with all dimensions, views and sections in order to reuse already created 2D information in another context. For this purpose, it is now possible to duplicate a drawing sheet in the same tab.

IMPROVEMENT TO THE DIAMETER DIMENSION TOOL

The Diameter Dimension tool has been improved so that projected diameter surfaces can now be dimensioned on the fly with the diameter symbol.

MORE WELD SYMBOLS COVER 2ND FILLET OPTION

The “2nd Fillet" option is now available for more weld symbols including the bead joint.

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

DEFAULT ENTERPRISE STARTUP PAGE

Enterprise admins now have the option to set the default startup page after sign-in for all members.

IOS IMPROVEMENTS

FINGER GESTURE CONTROLS TOOLTIP

A new first time walkthrough, explaining basic operations and finger gestures, will show when you are using the Onshape iOS app for the very first time.  You can review the tooltips at anytime under the Help menu → "Review gesture controls".

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

NEW SELF-PACED COURSE: ASSEMBLY CONFIGURATIONS

A new course, Assembly Configurations has been added to the Onshape Learning Center to explain how to create and manage Assembly Configurations. This course is available to Standard, Professional, Enterprise and Educational subscriptions.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great group of updates. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • tsutomu_uchinotsutomu_uchino Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Oh, do not reduce the wide of the view by adding the side bar.
  • jared_fitzclarencejared_fitzclarence Member Posts: 13 PRO
    Nice group of new features.

"ADD PREFIX/SUFFIX TO EXPORT FILENAME" is one that I had asked for a few times over the years and this looks like it has great potential, a couple of issues through.
    • My number 1 reason for wanting this was for exporting DXF files for laser cutting, either of 2D surfaces or of sheet metal model. Unfortunately, this seems to be have been missing in the definable exports list
    • It would be really helpful to have the "?" icon give a list of available fields so that the is some guide for programming.

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Good stuff, folks! Most of these are things I've wanted for a while, like export name stuff, configurable assembly names, easier release management, and easier moving of things to other documents without bringing a bunch of things along. Nice work!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 78 PRO
    Wow,   Thank you  :)
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited February 2021
    Move only this tab, the one I want to move, yes!

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    This is a huge set of features that have been on wish-lists for a long time! Great work Onshape!
  • Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 46 PRO
    Great bunch of improvements! Duplicate sheet will be a massive time saver and like others, I've long been hoping for configurable assembly names. Name prefix/suffix on export is also fab. I wonder what additions are planned for the new document panel! Thank you Onshape Devs!
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    nice improvements!  I like the Document Panel and location of pop outs.  Nice clean look.  Encouraging little teaser too - "and the icon panel allows space for future planned improvements."
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I notice that I'm kind of missing the pixels on the left side of my screen. Perhaps a future update could make it collapsable?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • FdaFda Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    There is some list of export rules ????
    ${appearance}
    ${name}
    ${partNumber}
    ${material} ${category}
    ${state}
    ${tessellationQuality}
    ${unitOfMeasure}
    ${document.name}
    ${export.format}
    ${notRevisionManaged}
    ${export.timestamp}
    ${export.stlFormat}
    ${excludeFromBOM}
    ${description}
    ${title1}
    ${title2}
    ${title3}
    etc...
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Nice improvements!

Love how you consolidated the flyouts into a single panel.
    Love we can finally copy sheets in drawings (Huge)
    Thank you for allowing Assembly names to be configured (Huge)
    Love how we can choose to move just a drawing to another document without moving all of the references!
    Love how we can define export names!
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    @Evan_Reese
    I always have the tab manager open on the left - and the new flyout replaces it when activated. I'd like the flyout to slide out of the way when I'm done, but not replace the Tab Manager. Now, after I look at the History & Versions, or comments, or Where Used (huge by the way), I have to remember to hit ALT+T to get the tab manager back. I guess I'd really just like to make the Tab Manager "sticky".
    At least it's as simple as a keyboard shortcut. Now, if I can learn to use ATL+T as the "close this flyout and return to my Tab Manager" I can save on some clicks.
    Maybe the Tab Manager button (bottom left currently) could be moved up with the other buttons - then it would be easy to click when it's time to put the whatever panel you're working with away.

It would also be consistent with the behavior on the other side: if you have a panel open, you can switch to another panel by clicking its button, or put the panel away by clicking on the button for the panel you have open.
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Nice round of improvements.
    I especially like this one. Big time saver for me.

ADD PREFIX/SUFFIX TO EXPORT FILENAME

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    Home-run list of improvements. These will speed up production quite a bit. Duplicate sheets especially.

Thank you Onshape team!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    edited February 2021
    Is there a way to collapse the document panel similar to the features and parts icon? It is taking up valuable screen space.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Konstantin_ShKonstantin_Sh Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    In our company the convention is that part name and export file name should match, and it should be of format ${PartNumber} ${Revision} ${Description} and I beleve it's pretty reasonable and common requarement. Thus you still have to manually duplicate all this information into part name and after this export name convention does't bring any automation. It would be better to be able to use these property references by default for any other part property in the property settings section.
  • Cedric_EveleighCedric_Eveleigh Member, OS Professional, csevp Posts: 59 PRO
    I'm not a fan of the side bar, but the other updates are great.
  • ian_d_gardinerian_d_gardiner Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    Great job Onshape team! Your work supports our work everyday
  • ryan_mcgoldrickryan_mcgoldrick Member Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    nice updates except for the side bar. why take an entire side up for only a few icons? they didn't impact the screen area previously and now they do and seemingly for no real benefit.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    nice updates except for the side bar. why take an entire side up for only a few icons? they didn't impact the screen area previously and now they do and seemingly for no real benefit.
    Yes after using it for a day or 2 I tend to agree.  Fine on a big screen but found when using on the laptop screen it was eating into the usable area. Also, I am not sure why the tab manager is still at the bottom, it's a long way to reach to switch it back on after switching it to versions or coments. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Collapse side bar on small screens - maybe - but I sure like to collapse / expand tab manager from same button that stays on same place.

Copy drawing tab, move without moving all tabs, assembly name -- all great stuff!!

Couple things I've been waiting for some time ..

Easier way to insert parts into assembly.
    - Could be 'add selected to assembly' --> choose 'new / existing assembly' in RMB menu on tab manager and part studio part list
    - Drag & drop from tab manager (then tab manager needs to have expandable list to see all the parts too)
    - Something I haven't even thought of and blows my mind

First stab for MBD
    - It's 2021, enough decades of paper like drawings already, it's time!
    //rami
  • brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Especially excited about the export names & assembly names...but most all of this looks pretty nifty. Thanks y'all! :smiley:
    Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG
  • Matt_BancroftMatt_Bancroft Member, Channel partner Posts: 6 EDU
    Excellent updates - the Duplicate Sheet will save so much time and the naming of configured assemblies is very useful too. Thanks!
  • mike_hölschermike_hölscher Member Posts: 105 PRO
    The celebration flag is out for Export Rules. This is a real time-saver and error-preventing function for us.
    Now pleeeeaaaase make it work for more than 1 part at a time  o:)
  • jaleel_da_shiekjaleel_da_shiek OS Professional Posts: 2 PRO
    Vertical sidebar definitely robs workspace on a small screen when I'm away from my large monitors.  Perhaps it can be a flyout/slideout icon menu that automatically retracts?  
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Nice updates! Export rules are really cool! Also the configuration of the assembly name is a good improvement!

But I also would like to add an export rule for Sheetmetal parts when I export a dxf file :-)

Any update when the pro users can expect the "Where used" functionality?
  • gkuhnsgkuhns Member, csevp Posts: 36 PRO
    When are us lowly Pro users getting Where Used?
  • ryan_mcgoldrickryan_mcgoldrick Member Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I think I understand the intent of the sidebar, so that the screen real estate taken by each document viewing option remains in the same size/space however that comes at a cost of significant screen area 100% of the time you are modelling and for no benefit what so ever outside of the brief times you are interacting with document exploration versions etc which are also times generally when you are not using the modelling workspace anyhow so the changes seem a bit illogical to me. Also the document explorer button is way down the bottom when the other buttons are at the top, this seems strange now that there is the side bar option.