Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

3d File transfer from for use in https://www.sema-soft.de/en/home/

jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
Has anyone a technique for exporting Onshape files or other 3d files for use in https://www.sema-soft.de/en/home/  .  I have a supplier who wants to import a 3d file so they can quickly cost out the machining time for some timber beams.  We have tried STEP files  does not work
Tagged:

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Hard to find good info on thier site. They say it supports all 3d neutral file formats... but no list. 

Onshape will usualy export a clean step file.  (Import fine in mastercam/solidworks at least) 
    So it may just be Sema.

Did you try parasolid, or iges?

I cant find what modeling kernel they are using. Hardly any information on them
  • jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
    Latest file format that is being recommended elsewhere is IFC.  SEMA could not import STEP IGES or SAT files.  However we are discussing 3d DXF .  I did not realise dxf files could have a 3d component.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @jonathan_stedman - Onshape cannot export 3D DXF - that is an old AutoCAD format. IFC is an AEC format only - really surprised they cannot read anything else.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
    edited October 2018
    I was as well - but their German-based tech support is now on the job. .  The usual solid 3d model files appear to be no good. I'll keep people posted
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    If you have or know someone who has access to another 3D program you could export as STL open in the other program then save as IFC. No idea if there would be any data loss going through that process.
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    IFC is industry standard AEC BIM format that links model data to classes of objects (the information part in BIM). Every major system reads and writes it. SolidWorks exports IFC. If Onshape is at all serious about doing any business in large scale AEC markets they need to offer IFC. 
  • brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Trying to generate some momentum on this IFC export topic....if anyone else ends up here, go check out the related improvement request!
    Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG