Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Make Public

rod_muirhead943rod_muirhead943 Member Posts: 94 EDU
Our school district is not using or paying for enterprise.  I have 6 classes with 24 students in each class.  Why am I having to spend an exorbitant amount of time tracking and making documents Public?  I don't have that kind of 365 24 7 time.  What can I do to set up PUBLIC staying on all the time for students?

Thanks

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Why would you make student's docs public? They would be able to see each other's work.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • rod_muirhead943rod_muirhead943 Member Posts: 94 EDU
    I don't have time to track 144 students with locked (unpublic) documents so they can work out side of class or on the week ends.  I get tons of emails from students to unlock / make public their own personal documents inside their own folders public so they can work outside of class.  I don't have that kind of time to constantly track and make public their documents so they can work in the cloud 365 24 7. 
    Not public Student can not work on assembly 7 of 16 documents for final assembly

Student can now continue and begin assembly.

http://somup.com/crewIEbpal
  • Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    This seems like it could be an issue with the way permissions are setup for the document/folder.

The documents/folder need to have been shared with the Link Document permission so that the student can link the parts in a different document's assembly. Please check that the correct student was given Link Document permission in the share menu. 

I don't have time to track 144 students with locked (unpublic) documents so they can work out side of class or on the week ends.  I get tons of emails from students to unlock / make public their own personal documents inside their own folders public so they can work outside of class.  I don't have that kind of time to constantly track and make public their documents so they can work in the cloud 365 24 7. 
    Not sure I follow? If they sign in with their student email they can access it 365 24 7 - that's the whole point?
    Student can now continue and begin assembly.

http://somup.com/crewIEbpal
    Neil, it appears Domenico may have given the possible solution. "Link document"  I like OS, but it seems the only answers to issues has to come from a blog.  In the very near future a OS for Dummies, Beginners, Intermediates, advanced and special techniques PUBLISHED on a digital format would be nice after a lot of the bugs and kinks are worked out.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @rod_muirhead943

What would an e-book do that Onshape help does not?  I find their Help menu to be excellent. The opening page of Help is full of links for beginner through expert; it is a wonder of using the technology for training and reference.  For example the 'Index' has 'Sharing and Collaboration' which is comprehensive and covers 'Link document'.   And the forum is a unique resource putting us in touch with each other and Onshape developers.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    Am I ever curious if this one is solved?
    No resolution yet.  I still spend hours making files Public so students can work.  What am I missing?

Thanks!
    @rod_muirhead943

Curious - your last comment on topic was ' it appears Domenico may have given the possible solution. "Link document" ' Sounds like you found success, then both Neil & I responded to your other points and did not see anything from you.

So when you ask 'What am I missing?' we do not understand how to help.  If you keep a dialog going I think you will find help saving those 'hours'. 
    www.accuratepattern.com
    Mr. Williams,  I apologize for not responding to and continuing additional topic(s) conversation.  Obviously OnShape employees / programmers know OS inside and out.  OS personnel know where to go and find answers.  OS can is very frustrating, as the blog is where get arounds, possible solutions, possible answers are posted..

Mr. Cooke,
    The students from day one have only used their school email address to use OS.

"What am I missing?"  => What is the set up protocol that I missed in setting up OS?  Not to upset either of you or sound rude or obnoxious, I don't have 365-24-7 to  make files public so work can continue.   If the world / globe icon is not showing to the students, they can not continue working.http://somup.com/crfI2DFcMr
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @rod_muirhead943
    Based on the video it seems the documents are owned by your user account which is why students would either need to be shared into the doc or the doc be made public. 

Instead, the students should create/own the documents.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Also - to add to Tim Rice's point - you can share entire folders with people. So, you should be able to share the MOON ROVER folder with all of the students in the class, then they'll be able to access any of the documents in that folder. This should save time over having to share every document individually. 

Take a look here, and scroll down to "Sharing a folder"

Creating and Using Folders (onshape.com)
    Tim, the students are making their Own Docs.
    BTW, where is this Index on my OS screen that is talked about? 
    I kindly thank you all.  Either I am not explaining my issue or the understanding of it is to ambiguous.  
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    This is from the help file in Onshape, I think this is what you are looking for.

• George_AndersonGeorge_Anderson Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    This thread has made me realize that I don't have 365 24 7 time either.
    If the students are creating the documents, then they should be creating them inside folders that are shared with the rest of their team or sharing them individually with their team members. 
    @rod_muirhead943

I think your question about 'where is the index' is based on my comment April 9.   I was talking about  Help (Help menu under ? and then Help).  See pic below and note the section on Folder Creation and Sharing.

www.accuratepattern.com
    Mr. Williams,

Please accept my sincere apology if in anyway I have offended yourself or the OS team.  Trying to learn OS.  I appreciate your patience very much.  Again, my apologies!
  • Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
    @rob_muirhead943
    From your comment over in this thread, I'm assuming you still haven't figured out a way to easily set up the permissions you want. Let me see if I can help with that somewhat. Some of what I have to say is based on guesswork, since you haven't really explained your use cases very well. If I do miss something, feel free to let me know, and I can see what I can do.

Starting off, I'm assuming you've already organized your classes into Onshape teams. If you haven't done this, then you can find instructions for doing so in this blog post. Having your students organized into teams will make sharing documents much easier.

In a learning environment, there's a few different types of things I'd assume you'd wish to be able to do. The first is sharing documents containing one or more parts you'd like the students to be able to use, like if you wanted your students to practice making an assembly from a collection of provided parts. In this case, these parts would ideally be contained inside a single document, and you can enable the students to use said parts in an assembly in their own documents by sharing the document with the respective class team with the Link document permission enabled.

When documents are shared this way, students would not need to copy or move said documents, but would instead be able to use parts from it by choosing Other documents and navigating to the reference parts document shared with the team for the respective assignment. (They can also paste the browser link to the shared document into the Other documents search bar to more easily find it).

Students can also derive parts from the reference document into part studios, if it is desirable for students to be able to build off of reference parts directly - however, they won't have access to the feature tree of imported parts, so it'll be difficult to do things other than booleaning additional geometry onto said parts.

The second, more common use case for you is when you assign students to work on an individual project, then have them submit the project to you for grading after they've finished. As others have stated above, the easiest thing to do in this situation is to have the students create their own documents, then share them with you when they are finished. You can also share documents containing reference parts with the students, which will allow them to use said parts in their individual documents as they desire.

Since you no longer own the documents containing your student's work in this case, the onus for ensuring you have access to their work falls onto individual students, saving you from having to do the work of manually sharing documents with individual students. To prevent academic dishonesty, you can always review the edit history of documents as you please.

Lastly, if any student cannot edit any document, double check that their education license has not expired (it expires automatically every year). If it has, simply have said student fill out the education sign up form here, using the email address associated with their Onshape account.

I hope some of this helps, and saves you from having to spend "365 24 7 time" sharing documents with your students. If you have a use case I didn't cover, feel free to describe it, and myself and others can probably explain how you can more quickly accomplish your goals. Good luck, and I hope this helps!

CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
    Check out my FeatureScripts here:

Alex,
    I will step through this process.  Thanks
  • Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
    @rod_muirhead943
    I noticed you posted a comment on my profile asking for a bit more explanation, which I'm more than happy to provide. I did decide to post it in this thread, however, since I want my reply to be more visible (in case others in the community have similar questions), and because the editor for comments on a profile is worse than the editor for commenting on a post. 
    (For others, @rod_muirhead943's specific question can be found here, but it basically asks about sharing actual documents.)

Something I didn't get into to much in my original post was that there's actually multiple ways to share parts, sub assemblies, and documents with students. Addressing your question directly, you can share documents by selecting each one individually (you can't share more than one document at a time), then pressing the Share button on the upper right hand corner of the screen:

This will bring up the share menu. From there, you have two (primary) options:
    1. Share your document with individual teams (classes) you'd like to have access to your documents. The key permission here is Link document, which is what will allow your students to insert the part into their assembly; you'll also want to set it to Can view, so that you don't have to deal with students accidentally modifying the master part.

You can also allow copying, but that probably isn't necessary unless you want students to be able to copy the document in order to make direct edits to the feature tree of individual parts (for less involved modifications, students can also derive shared parts into a part studio in their assignment, make changes (like coloring parts or whatnot), then use their derived version - no copying required!).

One downside of this approach is that it requires you to share each document manually with each class, which can be quite tedious, especially if you rotate class teams every school year/semester. This will also generate one email to every student per shared document; this is less of a concern, but it could get pretty annoying for students, especially over time.

2. Option two is to make each document public (which you may or may not have been doing already).

The benefit of doing this is that it allows you to share the document with students via the link, and won't spam them with emails; however, you'll probably need to communicate the link to each document manually, outside of Onshape; otherwise, it may be a bit hard for students to find the appropriate document for each assignment.

A document which is public looks like the following:

If you want to play around with what is possible with a public document, you can try playing around with a copy of my VEXU team's VEX CAD library here:
    I would encourage you to try using parts or assemblies from the above library in a personal document of your choice; simply create an assembly in a personal document you own, then click insert, choose other parts, and paste the above link into the search bar of the insert menu.

Inside any assembly in any document you own (i.e. any document besides the one linked above):

Note that this method for using parts from a shared document with "Link document" permission is the same for any document, so your students can use the same procedure above to use parts from any document you share with them which has the "Link document" permission enabled (and/or is public).

I would also encourage you to take note of the numerous parts included inside the part library I shared above. Note that it includes parts and/or sub-assemblies of almost every vex component - by combining multiple parts and assemblies into a single document, my team made it extremely easy for us to get parts and assemblies as we wanted. Since everything is in one place, it's also very easy for us to share our library with others, as it's only one document.

This alludes to a good practice nobody's really touched on yet; combining multiple parts into a single document makes it a thousand times easier to share stuff. When applied to you, I would strongly recommend combing all of the parts for any given assignment into a single document for that assignment; this is equivalent to creating a folder containing all of the parts needed for said assignment, rather than making individual folders for each part in an assignment, which is obviously slower and more work for all involved.

Obviously, one important question which needs answering is how this can be accomplished. There's two ways to do so.
    1. Use the derive tool to bring parts spread across multiple documents into a single document.
    2. Import all of your parts into a single part studio in the first place (rather than importing them into multiple documents, one per document, which occurs by default). For more details on this method, see "To import data into an existing document, import from within an open document" here. Note that you've been importing data into brand new documents, rather into an existing document; you want to import into an existing document in most cases, as this will allow you to easily collect parts into a single location (for example, this is what we used when creating our VEX part library).

So, in conclusion, you can share your documents one by one with your teams, or make them public (as you've been doing), or you can combine your parts into fewer documents in order to more easily make multiple parts available to students without having to share a bunch of documents manually. For you, I would recommend creating documents with imported parts, one for each project or assignment; Create a document, then derive or import all of the parts needed for a particular assignment into a single part studio in said document. You can then make that document public and send the link to your students, or share the document with the appropriate class when it's time for them to work on the assignment. 

I know this post has become quite long - If you want, I can make a better step by step guide for deriving/importing parts into a single document, or explain individual parts in more detail if they're unclear. Please let me know if you need any help. I hope some of this helps, and good luck!
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
    Check out my FeatureScripts here:

What's wrong with sharing a folder to a team with link doc? Surely that's the fastest way?