Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

EDIT IN-CONTEXT AND CREATE NEW BRANCH

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 818 PRO
edited August 2021 in Product Feedback
I frequently want to customize a part of sub assembly to tailor it to a customers requirements.  Naturally I want this special version to be in its own branch of the document.  90% of the time I need to edit the part in context.  When I right click and select "edit in context" I would love to have an extra option there that say something like "edit in context in new branch".  At the moment I select edit in context and when the document opens, I create a branch.  When the new branch is created, The context also gets removed.  I then navigate back to the assembly, update the part to the version of the newly created branch and edit in context a second time.  I would be kind of great to just be able to have the branch and context get created all in one go.

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,002
    @shawn_crocker There are a few things that we pause on when requests for workflow specific automation is asked for.  Branching when you do an in context edit is a bit dangerous only because this would happen in a document that is somewhat hidden from you.  Typically you are doing these things and you are actually "out of context" from the document you are branching.  This might sound like a simple option but if you have a very complex version graph, this could be damaging.  We like to make sure users are doing branching intentionally so at this point we will not add this to the list.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 818 PRO
    I see and understand the concern for opening up an opportunity for people to unintentionally damage there tightly tuned document structure.  No biggy