Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Update Drawing Button

cyclonewadecyclonewade OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
I'm hoping the update drawing button will go away and will become automatic in the future.  If not, you should not be able to export any file type until its been updated or inaccurate information will be exported.
imagine.create.deliver

Comments

• jon_mcintyrejon_mcintyre Onshape Employees Posts: 56
    That is a good point and has been brought up in some of our usability testing.  The update button is partially to allow users to have control of when the geometry updates, so if, say, someone else is modifying the part, the drawing isn't constantly changing.   Essentially, the drawing is of a certain version of the part, although it's more like a "microversion" as we call it, which could be partway between 2 versions that you'd see in your version tree.  "Update Drawing" puts it to the latest working version. 

Some related areas where we'd like to hear more feedback from users are:
    • What do you envision version control looking like in drawings?  I see this as replacing the Update Drawing button.
    • For an out-of-date drawing, would you want all export commands to be disabled (greyed out buttons), or allowed, but with watermarks in the output, or something else? 
  • dave_cdave_c Onshape Employees Posts: 42
    @cyclonewade - as Jon points out, it does happen that one person can be changing  the model and another working on the drawing and we want to make sure we handle that case in a non-intrusive way - and re-calcing views can take time.  One possibility is a warning on export/print.  Another possibility is that we make sure that when you go into the drawing tab it is either up to date or we update it then (or offer to update it then) - so in the single user case - it doesn't happen that you are out of synch without knowing it.  Another is that we just make it more obvious when you are out of synch.  Any feedback appreciated.
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I would have wished to see how part and assembly versions would work before getting into this discussion.

At this point I think that I would like to be able to right/click in the drawing tab and get some kind of an archive drop down. This drop down may possibly be within the properties section. Within this drop down I would like to see a list of the current and all previously archived revisions. I should also see an option to archive the current. and  I should be able to access any of the revisions from this list.

As for being able to print, I think that we should be able to print all current and archived revisions. If watermarks are preferred by some then they should not be on the current or the last archived revision.

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would like to see some frame or color change immediately if someone is working / making changes to current model.

Changing model while trying to create drawing out of it can cause a lot of anomalies. I like the letter appearing on top if there is other users 'online'. Maybe that letter could hold some information on what they are working with; hovering letter could popup info like 'Tab: t1 Part: p1 Sketch: sk3' which would tell the others your where abouts and maybe even intensions.

How does dimensioning work in Ons drawings? If I have set dimension between two lines and those lines are deleted; what will happen to dim? What if lines are re-created?
    //rami
  • john_mcculloughjohn_mccullough Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 38
    3dcad, upon drawing update any dimensions which can't find the geometry which they reference change to a "dangling" state which highlights them in red. If the geometry is restored the next drawing update should allow those dangling dimensions to return to a healthy state. 
    Dangling dimensions can also be manually re-attached to view geometry by dragging the end(s) of the dangling dimension to a view snap point.