Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

N key not working for normal to

What or where do I go to get the shortcut of N for normal to - to start working?

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    There is no setting. It should just work.
  • Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    You need to click on a face/plane so the system knows with respect to what are you viewing normal to. In a sketch, you just need to press N because you are already working on a plane.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    zoltan_karolyizoltan_karolyi Member, Channel partner Posts: 5
    You need to click on a face/plane so the system knows with respect to what are you viewing normal to. In a sketch, you just need to press N because you are already working on a plane.

According to my experience, since the V1.114 update you just have to hover your mouse over a planar face and press N. 
  • Options
    svenolov_nystromsvenolov_nystrom OS Professional Posts: 64 PRO
    Shortcut n does not work in Firefox browser I cant find any solution 
    A search box opens in the lower left corner  when any key is hit it forcing me to use the Chrome browser
    It works when Firefox is fresh installed , but after a while the shit reappears
  • Options
    n_schoemaekern_schoemaeker Member Posts: 28 PRO
    Shortcut n does not work in Firefox browser I cant find any solution 
    A search box opens in the lower left corner  when any key is hit it forcing me to use the Chrome browser
    It works when Firefox is fresh installed , but after a while the shit reappears

I think I know why, IIRC it happens because at some point you enabled a feature in Firefox that makes Firefox start a search as soon as you press a key (and it's not in a input focus).

See section "Find automatically while typing on a page" on this page: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/search-contents-current-page-text-or-links .
    Be sure to uncheck this, I think it will work back.

In any case, I'm using Firefox both in Windows and Linux (currently Windows, Firefox version 94.0.2 (64-bit)) and I can confirm N works very well to orient normal to face / place.

• Options
    svenolov_nystromsvenolov_nystrom OS Professional Posts: 64 PRO
    Thanks now the n key works it is a nice feature !! B)