Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Select edges to fill multiple surfaces simultaneously

matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
Is there a way to select edges and Fill multiple, non-contiguous surfaces simultaneously?

In the simplest case, assume that I want to create a Composite surface comprised of two individual surfaces that do not overlap one another, similar to that shown below:

My current workflow is tedious and crude:
  1. click <Fill> (new)
  2. right-click
  3. <Create selection>
  4. click
  5. click <Loop/chain connected> (default is 'Tangent connected')
  6. select an edge
  7. click <Add selection>
  8. <Enter>
Eight mouse/keyboard inputs seems excessive relative to the simplicity of the task.  Is there a better way?  The tedium becomes so much the greater when tens of surfaces are involved.

• Is it possible to create 'Fill 1' and 'Fill 2' simultaneously (remember that they don't overlap)?
  • Is it possible to select the perimeter of an enclosed sketch profile with a single mouse click? (<Perimeter> would be a handy selection criterion for <Create selection>)
  • Is there a keyboard shortcut for <Fill>?
  • Persistent tool selection for <Fill>?  (tool stays open for the next Fill)

Comments

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with sketches here is that their edges are not topologically connected so, you can't create domains of adjacent edges using exclusively queries. If it was a surface body with multiple ports that would be pretty easy to create a custom feature for this
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    If they are sketch regions you can use Offset Surface with a value of zero. And you can do it all in one feature. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    edited January 2022
    @NeilCooke
    I've seen this work around before. It's honestly one of the more non-intuitive things in Onshape to avoid adding another feature tool. In Solidworks this would just be a flat surface, which also has the advantage of taking non-closed edges and trying to make a surface (e.g. two co-planar non-intersecting lines will create a surface with four edges). The Onshape "solution" doesn't work with edges of geometry, only "faces, surfaces, and sketch regions".

And, unlike some other Solidworks <--> Onshape hints, the tool search comes up blank for "flat".

• matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    If they are sketch regions you can use Offset Surface with a value of zero. And you can do it all in one feature. 

@NeilCooke, that's exactly what I was looking for!  The Offset-Surface functionality that you describe more than meets my need.  You saved me 8 clicks per surface.  Thanks for the help.

Personally, I would much rather see Onshape reserve precious development resources on mission critical functionality (bend-specific sheet metal bends, locating formed features on sheet metal patterns, etc).