Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

how to share files for editing without loosing original

JTIVJTIV Member Posts: 2 PRO
Id like to share a file to other people in our company.  I'm the only "real" onshape user, but want them to be able to use my files.  Basic assemblies and sketches to check for interference on some assemblies before making an order with our vendors.  Effectively I've crated a file that allows other NON-CAD users to "double check" dimensions using assemblies and sketches within onshape.  They can confirm a good fit, then order the correct part.  In a old school CAD system, I'd just make a read only copy of the file, and if they "blow up" the sketch, they could just reopen it and start over.  I do want them to be able to edit sketch entities by double clicking on the "dimension" of the sketch.  I'd also like these NON CAD employees to be able to share these files with outside customers for demonstration purposes.  Effectively allowing them to share how we reach our order "decision" using the sketch as proof.  So... not sure if they'd need to have my onshape login to be able to share.   Thank you!

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    The share option is "Can View" for readonly

you could create a 'read only' team and share with the team.
    then have every 'not-cad user' share the top level folder with that team.
    Every document in that folder will automatically be readable by them as 'read-only'

Otherwise, just set each person manually

Here you can see I made Shop a readonly team

• matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    @JTIV, explore Onshape's version/branching capabilities.  It can be very useful in laying out a 'trail of breadcrumbs' through the  forest to get back to a fixed point in the design history.  This is great even for a single user.  I'll frequently version immediately upon opening a document (if there are any changes since the previous version).  Then I branch from there to create a new workspace called something like "My Sandbox".  Then before closing the document just go back to the original workspace (probably called 'Main') and delete my sandbox.  Just remember, versions are forever.  Workspaces can be deleted, like they never existed ... unless you created a version in that workspace because versions ... last forever.

Versioning/branching is even more useful when other people are accessing your document.  They can easily muddle your design history if you let them.

Another option is to create an intermediate document for viewing.  Rather than granting others access directly to your document, insert those parts and/or assemblies into a new document.  Then grant user privileges to that second document.  This can be an effective way to insulate your design document.  This is also the only way that I am aware of to retire "Link Sharing" when you decide to selectively unshare with particular parties.  Just delete the intermediate document, create a new one (copied) and create a new Link Share with anyone who still needs access to your design data.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi @JTIV - in order for other people in the company to be able to edit data or share data, they need a paid named user account. Free users can of course be shared into a document for them to view and export, but to edit they need a license. It's the same with old school CAD - they would still need a license of that CAD to make the edits you require. Sharing Onshape accounts and login details is strictly against the end-user license agreement.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI