Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Section (New Custom Feature)

MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
edited December 2020 in General

Section 

Link:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bdffe7bf48f3b4155e85d073/w/4aa864c3858500b61d8570f5/e/310ce09906d1409f3c49a5f2

Created by: 

Michael Pascoe,  Cache River Mill.

Description: 

This custom feature splits and removes a section of the selected parts.

Prerequisites: 

• One plane or flat face 

• One or more parts.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎

Comments

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    cool feature! I still have yet to mess with the manupulators in FS. what's the use case you need this for instead the standard section tool.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    edited December 2020
    Thanks! I made it for when we are working with wood trim, stair treads, or columns. It's actual purpose is more like an extrude.

Often, I need to cut trim flush with another part or wall. Sometimes the wall or other part does not fully intersect the part so I can't boolean or extrude from a face. The process usually involves a plane, sketch, and an extrude to cut the entire part to size.

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    oh nice! I see what you mean.
    If you think it would be useful, you could make it accept mate connectors as an input too, by making your UIHint like this
    "Filter" : EntityType.FACE || BodyType.MATE_CONNECTOR
    You'll have to add some additional code to tell whether you pick a face or mate connector, then make a plane from it.
    edited December 2020
    Good input. I will try to remember this when I release an update.

When I have the time, I would like to implement these options:
    - Section "Up To Entity"
    - Section with surface
    - Include hatching

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @Evan_Reese @MichaelPascoe

The right way to implement plane or mate connector selection here is with:
    "Filter" : QueryFilterCompound.ALLOWS_PLANE
    and then (as mentioned in the QueryFilterCompound documentation: https://cad.onshape.com/FsDoc/library.html#QueryFilterCompound ) you can just use `evPlane` (no need to figure out whether it is a face or mate connector, evPlane will do it for you).
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Legit, thanks Jake!

Thanks, Jake!
    edited March 2021

Update!

Requested by @Evan_Reese
    • Manipulator acts more like the official section view tool (This was made possible by @Jake_Rosenfeld, Thank you!)
    • Added "Up to vertex" section method
    • Auto detect owner part of face for initial part selection
    • Auto detect "Up to vertex"  if you already have a face and a point pre selected when you start the feature
    I have named the internal portion of the feature. You will need to remove the old feature and add the new one.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bdffe7bf48f3b4155e85d073/w/4aa864c3858500b61d8570f5/e/310ce09906d1409f3c49a5f2

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Thanks, I've added it to my toolbar.

yeeeessss! This feature was already so handy, and it's now even more so.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @MichaelPascoe

Looks great!!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    edited June 2021

Update!

• "Section all" improvements.
    In previous versions, "Section all" would only section entities that were sliced by the section plane. Now, all solid bodies are sectioned if "Section all" is selected.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bdffe7bf48f3b4155e85d073/w/4aa864c3858500b61d8570f5/e/c05408d7f5b69bfedfcabb5e

• matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    @MichaelPascoe, I would love to see "section properties" incorporated into a feature script like this (e.g. "I = bh^3 for a rectangular cross-section).  Last I checked, Onshape offers "mass properties" but not section properties (mm^4) for bending calculations and whatnot.

Regards,

Matt
    @matthew_stacy, this would be a good base for something like that. Probably wouldn't be too hard to make. Mostly equations.

• matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    @MichaelPascoe, not too hard for a feature-script savvy individual like yourself perhaps.  Significantly more challenging for the rest of us mortals.  Also please pardon the error in my previous message.  The area moment for a rectangular section is (bh^3)/12.  I had previously omitted the "/12".   
    Hey Michael, I find myself still using this feature a lot for it's quick convenience. Is there a reason it doesn't support mate connectors for the plane? you can use "Filter" : QueryFilterCompound.ALLOWS_PLANE to filter for planes and mate connectors, and it will add the little button to add implicit mate connectors.
    edited January 2022
    @Evan_Reese
    Done  B) Thanks for the tip!
    You can also do: BodyType.MATE_CONNECTOR || BodyType.MATE_CONNECTOR and it will give you the option to choose a mate or create an implicit one. The pro to this instead of just using BodyType.MATE_CONNECTOR is that it doesn't force you to make a mate connector.

I think it would also be cool to be able to choose a surface or a sketch shape for sections that aren't flat. Another time though.

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    @MichaelPascoe I really like this feature for actually cutting geometry - as well as a section visualization tool.
    You know - if you need to split a body with a plane, and delete one of the resulting bodies - this works great. Saves features and clicks!

@Evan_Reese
    Done  B) Thanks for the tip!
    You can also do: BodyType.MATE_CONNECTOR || BodyType.MATE_CONNECTOR and it will give you the option to choose a mate or create an implicit one. The pro to this instead of just using BodyType.MATE_CONNECTOR is that it doesn't force you to make a mate connector.

I think it would also be cool to be able to choose a surface or a sketch shape for sections that aren't flat. Another time though.
    lol thanks. I literally already had forgotten than I mentioned something about it up in the thread. 
    edited January 2022

Update!

• New section types added: Projection / surface. (Supports selection of surfaces and sketches.
    • Planar mode now accepts mate connectors & implicit mate connectors @Evan_Reese.

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    This is definitely going to be useful.
    projection mode is awesome! I often find myself extruding a surface, splitting, then deleting the surface and extra split parts. This is way better.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    Honestly the projection mode should be part of the regular extrude/remove tool. Coming from Creo and Solidworks, the idea that I can't extrude an open sketch and cut away material (on one side of the sketch) in one step has always seemed crazy. Even after a while of using Onshape I keep looking for the option, like, I must have missed this and it's just hidden somewhere.