Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Import whole document into another document?

guy_taylorguy_taylor Member Posts: 8
edited July 2016 in Community Support
Hello I have one component in one document which Id like to import into another document. How would I go about this? 

Thanks

Guy

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited July 2015
    No inter document relations yet.

You can RMB on a part studio tab "Copy to clipboard" and paste into a new document from the bottom left " + "
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited July 2015
    @guy_taylor We currently do not have a feature to import an entire document or reference another document but definitely have plans to do so.  Currently you can export out and import in or do a tab copy as @brucebartlett suggested.  If you only have one part in a Part Studio, the tab copy is going to be the fastest.  Otherwise you can place a single part into an assembly and export out a Parasolid and back into your other document.  For now we have some work-arounds but we hope to soon have more options for these workflows.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    @guy_taylor You have to use "copy to clipboard" option to copy the part studio ( Document from which you have component)

and "paste tab" option to paste in other document where you wanted.

I hope in near future Onshape have a feature to import an entire document or reference another document.

• Options
    guy_taylorguy_taylor Member Posts: 8
    Thanks all much appreciated. Loving the forum help very good. :-)
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    @guy_taylor  I so agree, the forum is a fantastic learning tool for design in general and OS use in particular.
  • Options
    engineering_deltapengineering_deltap Member Posts: 13 PRO
    lougallo said:
    @guy_taylor We currently do not have a feature to import an entire document or reference another document but definitely have plans to do so.  Currently you can export out and import in or do a tab copy as @brucebartlett suggested.  If you only have one part in a Part Studio, the tab copy is going to be the fastest.  Otherwise you can place a single part into an assembly and export out a Parasolid and back into your other document.  For now we have some work-arounds but we hope to soon have more options for these workflows.
    Hello Lou,
    Any update on this 2015 wish? I would like to "move" a complete multi tabbed document in to a document that references it.
    @brucebartlett
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @engineering_deltap
    You can right-click on the top-level assembly and click move to document
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100