Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - January 31st, 2022

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    where did someone find galvanized? I didn't see it in the materials. I faked mine with brushed zinc, which doesn't look right on close inspection
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    StephenG said:
    Beta rendering functionality is currently available only to Professional and Enterprise users. 

Does this mean when it is officially released it will NOT be available to Educational and Free users?
    @StephenG
    From what I understand. Pro and Enterprise get early access / beta functionality for some abilities. Rendering will be released to the free and edu accounts once the functionality is out of beta. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Hi StephenG & MichaelPascoe,

At this point we haven't made any decisions about what Render Studio looks like after beta.  There are some things on our roadmap right now that we are working on and we are hoping to receiving feedback to help drive prioritization of improvements.  Beyond that, our requirements of a non-beta release are currently flexible.

On a personal level, I think that rendering has its place for users across all of our plan types, even our users that don't fit as Professional or Enterprise users.

I will say that Professional and Enterprise users getting early access is not correct.  We release updates when the release meets our standard of quality.  Sometimes we will run Early Visibilty Programs of functionality to get early feedback to help inform what is required for release.  The users who we reach out to to join an Early Visibilty Program is based on different criteria and has spanned users of all plan types.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    When putting a lot of time defining materials and stuff make sure you hit the save button (which we are not used to anymore) before opening another instance of same document. I tend to check things from the actual model while rendering if something doesn't look right.

If document was last time closed from render tab it will default that on next open and that will pop other instance out without warning or saving and work might get lost.
    //rami
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    Thanks for the info @jakeramsley, good to know.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    I really like these updates. Looking forward to working with the rendering.
  • adam_richardsonadam_richardson Member Posts: 34 ✭✭

At this point we haven't made any decisions about what Render Studio looks like after beta.  There are some things on our roadmap right now that we are working on and we are hoping to receiving feedback to help drive prioritization of improvements.  Beyond that, our requirements of a non-beta release are currently flexible.

On a personal level, I think that rendering has its place for users across all of our plan types, even our users that don't fit as Professional or Enterprise users.

I will say that Professional and Enterprise users getting early access is not correct.  We release updates when the release meets our standard of quality.  Sometimes we will run Early Visibilty Programs of functionality to get early feedback to help inform what is required for release.  The users who we reach out to to join an Early Visibilty Program is based on different criteria and has spanned users of all plan types.
    Another banging update, three in a row! For product design work I'm loving the surfacing updates.

As a hobbyist Onshape user, I'd love to have access to rendering, and I would step up to the Standard plan to get that (would save me a subscription to Keyshot, for example, or the pain of learning Blender). But Pro is overkill for me. Just one data point for you 😁

One question: On the hero image used at the end of the video there is obvious tessalation around the perimeter of the tires. Is that due to an inherent limitation of the renderer, or is it just an artifact due to a setting?
  • GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 100

One question: On the hero image used at the end of the video there is obvious tessellation around the perimeter of the tires. Is that due to an inherent limitation of the renderer, or is it just an artifact due to a setting?
    The tessellation accuracy is user controllable, and it is really just a choice based on how much time you want to spend on it, rendering it, and what is the intended use for the image, etc. We all have been focusing on banging out as many different examples as possible rather than spending all our time on one ;)
  • ladislav_pochopladislav_pochop Member, HON-TS Posts: 6 PRO
    I'd like to start by thanking everyone on the Onshape team, you guys are doing a great job, great update.

To highlights:

ONSHAPE RENDER STUDIO
       I was looking forward to test this from moment I had heard about and I have to say very nice work.

CONTROL POINTS FOR BRIDGING CURVES
       This is very useful for us when working with surface shaping, great.

SELECT THROUGH TRANSLUCENT OBJECTS
       This is great, very facilitating selection.

DOT ADDED FOR DIMENSION ARROWHEAD STYLE
       This is something where is space to improve. Or maybe I am mistaken but - I did not find way how to change the arrowhead style for particular arrowhead.
        …usually you need to change style of only some of dimensions/arrowheads.

COLORED NOTES
       Very useful for our standard drawings.

Thank you very much, great improvements, very appreciate it.

• howard_bertolohoward_bertolo Member Posts: 5 PRO
    After losing the first of my marbles learning OneRender, (which subsequently appeared defunct), and the last of them trying to render an Onshape design in Blender, I was excited when PTC acquired migenius and hopeful that Onshape might one day deliver an integrated variant of the wonderfully easy to learn Reality Server. Gentlemen, I think that day has come!

Thank you for returning a marble.
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518

DOT ADDED FOR DIMENSION ARROWHEAD STYLE
       This is something where is space to improve. Or maybe I am mistaken but - I did not find way how to change the arrowhead style for particular arrowhead.
        …usually you need to change style of only some of dimensions/arrowheads.

@ladislav_pochop Yes we know. The arrowhead type needs to be there first in order for it to be used in some scenarios.  Stay tuned.  
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    I noticed that the message said that the Rendering was going to be available to the Professional and Enterprise as a beta version
    "while we continue to refine the experience and offering"...  Can I assume that there's going to be an additional cost involved when it's finished?
    And if so, do we know yet what that cost will be?
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    I noticed that the message said that the Rendering was going to be available to the Professional and Enterprise as a beta version
    "while we continue to refine the experience and offering"...  Can I assume that there's going to be an additional cost involved when it's finished?
    And if so, do we know yet what that cost will be?
    Hi don_williams909,

The "experience and offering" is in reference to the features, functionality, and user experience of using Render Studio.  We are focused on making Render Studios awesome for our users just like everything else in Onshape.  As mentioned before, we haven't decided what Render Studio looks like post-beta yet, we don't have a timeline defined of when beta ends and as such there is no basis for us to have any serious considerations of things like pricing.

I recommend joining the webinar on Render Studio next Thursday (https://www.onshape.com/en/resource-center/events/render-studio-photo-realistic-rendering-in-the-onshape-platform-021022) as well as attending Onshape Live (https://www.onshape.com/en/onshape-live/).
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • mowoodsiiimowoodsiii Member Posts: 3 EDU
    I LOVE that you've given the Learning Center an option for Spanish. I'd love to see this effort continued beyond the "Technical Briefings" (especially the "Videos" section)! #onshaperules
  • thomas_hotchkinthomas_hotchkin Member Posts: 5 PRO
    So is there any way to add/save/share custom materials in Render Studio? None of the materials I need are in there at the moment, and can't figure out how to add them. We just trialled Keyshot but didn't want to shell out for something we only occasionally use, but having a user-built library of materials in Keyshot is a huge advantage for occasional users, I could find most materials I need in a matter of minutes and they looked great. 
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited February 2022
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Is this thread now the 'Show off your model rendered with Onshape's Render Studio' thread?

Apparently...

It really needs some better way of knowing what appearance is applied where as it's really hard to keep track off. I'm also quite confused by a bunch of things, including the completely different "types" of materials that have different sets of options and parameters.

Also I can't make any sense of how to setup the environment (like how to spin it around so that I can control which part of it is visible through the window in the example below?)

I found the webinar completely glosses over all this.

That said, just by dragging and dropping appearances and doing some minor adjustments and throwing in a couple light sources you can get something pretty decent looking pretty quickly.

Exploring bedroom storage layout options:

• Cooper_AndersonCooper_Anderson Member Posts: 2 EDU
    so i cant use render on an school account?
  • christian_pettychristian_petty Member Posts: 65 PRO
    @Jake_Delano Can leader arrowheads be changed on a per-dimension basis? Typically, dots are only used for faces. Solidworks and Creo change this automatically based on where the leader is anchored.
    Christian Petty - Mechanical Design Engineer, Radian R&D
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @christian_petty Currently no, but we are working on several things in this area at the moment.  
  • marc_cromptonmarc_crompton Member Posts: 10 EDU
    Wondering, in the context of the Render Beta what the difference between Enterprise and Enterprise EDU is.  I run an enterprise account for my school, but see no render beta in my interface.  Is it something that I can turn on?  Or is it simply not available to me yet.  (I'm asking, 'cause all those screenshots above are making me very jealous....)  :wink:
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    A few of my attempts at renders.