Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Subassembly non-fastened mates not working in higher assembly

travis_lundytravis_lundy Member Posts: 15 PRO
I have a subassembly with a revolute mate which has limits of +/- 45deg defined (see animated gif). When this is inserted in a higher level assembly, all of the limits are no longer viable and everything acts like a fastened mate in whatever the last position was when the version was created. Is this expected behavior? Does anyone else think positional limits should still apply in higher level assemblies?

Revolute mate shown in higher assembly but does not apply limits:

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    @MichaelPascoe, I believe I answered my own question. I can't share this particular model but I did some troubleshooting and I had a linear part pattern of that assembly. When I suppress the pattern of that assembly and place each assembly individually, the revolute degrees of freedom come back. This fixes my current issue but makes me wonder if someone needs to do a pattern of assemblies with many items and needed this ability to adjust the degrees of freedom, a pattern would break that. Good to know.

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited April 2022
    Hi Travis, this is not normal. Would you provide a link to your document or a copied portion of it? This will help us troubleshoot for you.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    @MichaelPascoe, I believe I answered my own question. I can't share this particular model but I did some troubleshooting and I had a linear part pattern of that assembly. When I suppress the pattern of that assembly and place each assembly individually, the revolute degrees of freedom come back. This fixes my current issue but makes me wonder if someone needs to do a pattern of assemblies with many items and needed this ability to adjust the degrees of freedom, a pattern would break that. Good to know.

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    Glad it is working for you!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    spencer_salisburyspencer_salisbury Member Posts: 2
    I know this is old, but I just ran into the same issue. Example here:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b2f4eb50eb60a36ee859cca7/w/89765e7c8fc418d9cf4072d6/e/76d0a1abab255dbea3433163

It's a configurable drawer cabinet that uses linear pattern to replicate the drawers. If the linear pattern is suppressed then the one drawer can animate in and out. If it is unsuppressed, all drawers are fastened in place.

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    To me, this appears kind of logical: If they have a pattern relationship, moving only one would break the realtionship. If one wanted to move them all together, they should be a pattern in a subassembly that moves/animates on one single linear degree of freedom. If all are to be moved independently, they all need their individual definition, so their offset can be different values under the hood.
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 477 PRO
    For most of these applications, I prefer to use the replicate tool. This gives the individual definition. I try to limit patterns to objects that have no degree of freedom.