Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Standard content component requests

12346»

Comments

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @pmd I will take a look at the force nuts.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I wish they'd be split out into their own category within Onshape. 
    My understanding of a "Prevailing Torque" nut is something that has a deliberate oval to the shape of the hole. This means that fitting it bends the nut into round which in turn provides the locking.   Used in high temp environments such as exhaust manifolds. Personally I'd not have found these nuts without this thread. ;)
    Cheers, Owen S. 
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • n_schoemaekern_schoemaeker Member Posts: 28 PRO
    Hi,
    I'm not sure this thread is still alive. But I can't find "threaded hex standoffs" like these: https://www.mcmaster.com/spacers/system-of-measurement~metric/threaded-standoffs/

When looking in the annex, the only "standoffs" that I can find are self-clinching ones for sheet metal. But I'm looking for the classic threaded hex standoffs, like we use to separate motherboard from the casing, etc.

Have I missed it, or is there a good reason why it's not there yet?

• t_caryt_cary Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Category: Bolts and Screws
    Class: Round Head Bolts
    Component: Round Head Square Neck Bolt

wayne_sauder said:
    Have not been able to find.

Carriage Bolts

Am I over looking them or are they not there?
    If not I'd like to see them added.

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited December 2020
    @t_cary. I'd also like carriage bolts or as we call them locally coach bolts. I am sure I asked for these years ago but don't believe they are in there anywhere yet, and it's an absolute pain trying to search the standards to work out whether they are or not. I love Onshape until it comes to finding the bolts and nuts to finish a project, then I am like grrr....why can't they fix this to make it joyful to use.   

Please, Please, Please Onshape, make it so we can build our own libraries, rather than a standards library! Personally, I want a commercial or company library with parts that adhere to standards but listed by and searchable the same as where they are bought or stored in the company listings. The Insert tools work great but listings of parts are so painful.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • rod_muirhead943rod_muirhead943 Member Posts: 94 EDU
    Is there a data base of ALL TYPES of fasteners?  ISO, SAE.  Wood and Metal.  Falling back on Autodesk Inventor's huge data base of these items.

Thanks
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    @Jason_S @jakeramsley
    What about a library of O'rings 
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @wayne_sauder You'll find quite a bit here:

@pete_yodis
    Thanks for pointing that out, I tend to keep my nose in ansi in. And forget that there is so much more.
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    edited March 2022
    yes, part of the harm in cascading dropdown type experiences is getting lost in the forest for all the trees.  We also have improvements to offer a better search/filter experience here that would not necessitate  a standards driven knowledge of things.  Most users don't know which standards things are in and don't much care - at least if they don't have to.  It's also possible at a certain point in time that components comply to multiple standards.  In our typical Agile fashion we try to get a modicum of things out more quickly that are useful and then layer more functions and behaviors over time that continue to deliver better value as resources permit.  
    @pete_yodis @Jason_S
    I need some kind of lock nut in inch standard ???
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    It's missing nylocks and toothed washer nuts.

but things like distorted thread nuts can be faked by selecting another material really and filling in the description.

@john_mcclary
     I know that can be done, it just irritates my OCD. :D
     Also if I am not mistaken that sticks with that fastener and you need to remember to reset it the next time you use it. I may be wrong. 
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    I think one of the challenges is that Nylon locking nuts aren't governed by any official "standard" so there you can't be sure what you buy will have the same dimensions as what a library would have... In practice you can probably come up with something "close enough" but that makes things a bit tricky. 
    When people asked for standard content, I was like "Oh man that is going to be a headache for someone. They would never do that since there are so many things to add..."

Then Onshape implemented it, and I was like, "Oh man, this is cool, but I feel pity for the poor fool who will have to update this every time someone needs a nut or bolt"

Kudos for Onshape doing our work for us, but there are still a lot of missing pieces left to go.
    Like Lock washers for Metric, apparently, they don't exist in ISO, so I have to swap to DIN, then back to ISO. The little quirks that for the longest time I didn't even know were a thing and went without standard content lock washers for the first few jobs because I didn't know they were hidden in another standard. Most of the time I just want the most generic, common, cheapest, most available fastener. I'm actually learning a lot about fasteners that is mostly irrelevant for the low end engineering we do here. 

I still like the simplicity of our fastener library in SW:

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I think we really just need to be able to make our own commercial libraries, I constantly find the std content doesn't meet my needs and use 80/20 standard content to my own parts. Issues include Nyloc's, extra-long bolts, finding correctly sized washers, rivets, nuserts, etc.  I also hate searching through the standards to find what's required.  It would be much easier if I could just build my own library off the standard content available with my own special additions and organized in a more usable way for our own purposes.    I've mentioned it before but I'd like it to work as a commercial hardware store with commercial names that can be remembered for example McMaster Carr rather than a list of standards that mean little to me. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    @brucebartlett
     I somewhat agree with the comments. However, who has the time or wants to make and manage their own libraries, if there is an easier or better way I'll take it. 
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    In theory, Onhsape should be enable shared "libraries" across all users through public documents, but the issue is finding these as well as needing some quality control so "someone" needs to manage this.
    Then you have the issue of different companies needing different custom properties etc... So it's hard to come up with something generic enough.
    You could "derive in" from a public library of documents but that brings a bunch of overhead... Hopefully in time you'll see companies provide "native" Onshape 3D cad but "neutral" (i.e. STEP, IGES, etc...)  are here to stay as they work (although not that well...) across multiple cad systems.

Pretty much what I figured would come of this. I've already began reverting back to my own bolt library. It is a nice attempt, but it will never be enough 
  • michael_zeaglermichael_zeagler Member Posts: 59 ✭✭✭
    PeteYodis said:
    yes, part of the harm in cascading dropdown type experiences is getting lost in the forest for all the trees.  We also have improvements to offer a better search/filter experience here that would not necessitate  a standards driven knowledge of things.  Most users don't know which standards things are in and don't much care - at least if they don't have to.  It's also possible at a certain point in time that components comply to multiple standards.  In our typical Agile fashion we try to get a modicum of things out more quickly that are useful and then layer more functions and behaviors over time that continue to deliver better value as resources permit.  
    It'd be nice if we could just search the database without those menus, actually. 
  • arjan_bokarjan_bok Member Posts: 13 PRO
    Still no M14 in the standard content is becoming a bit frustrating.
    Someone already requested this en 2020, its 3 years and lots of 'improvements' later!
    It cant be that hard to set some variable somewhere to add this size to all the metric nuts and bolts.
    In agricultural machines M14 is a size which is used very often. I am using M12 as a substitute, but this messes up the BOM and then this has to be edited by hand :#
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    This thread is popular, and there are also numerous improvement requests for additional standard content - in fact too numerous for me to list them all here. I would hazard a guess that even in companies where they've managed to use standard content for most of their hardware, there are so many holes in the standard content that any serious project ends up needing some custom models or downloaded models for OTS hardware. That would be an interesting metric for Onshape - how many products/projects has your company needed to create or download hardware that was missing from the standard content?

Hopefully there are some updates coming which expand the standard hardware.

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An integration with McMaster Carr similar to Fusion would be nice to have. It would probably work smoother with Onshape.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign