Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Simple Rotate

Hello All,

This is a very simple question.  If I have drawn a shape and I want to copy and paste said shape somewhere else but rotated 37 degrees.  How do I go about doing this.  I cant seem to find the rotate button.

Thank you
Tagged:

Answers

• shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    allen_keshishian use "transform",see my image,the icon in the top right corner is "transform"
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @allen_keshishian
    If you meant a solid body, when you said "Shape", then @shanshan has answered perfectly.

If you meant a sketch (2D) "shape", then we need to show you a different method.
  • allen_keshishianallen_keshishian Member Posts: 9
    2d, sorry about the confusion
  • shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    allen_keshishian I think maybe you can try to use "circle pattern"  in the sketch to rotate them !
    edited August 2015
    @allen_keshishian
    It's still confusing, because you almost seem to be going for the 'shortest post' prize
    (I didn't even know there was one ...  and it probably shows ...)

You need to throw us a bit of meat here, mate, not just a gnawed bone! 

Is it just the "shape" that is 2D, or (in addition) are you trying to rotate it on a 2D plane, (ie about an axis normal to that plane)

or alternatively: are you trying to rotate it about an axis at some other angle (which means creating a new destination plane, and copying your sketch across to it) ? ? ? 
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited August 2015
    @allen_keshishian If you refer to sketch with the word shape: Edit original sketch, select desired 'shape' and use RMB and choose 'Copy sketch entities'. Then paste into another sketch and use dimension tool to turn the 'shape'.

Dimension tool activates angle when you select two instances which are not paraller, you might need some construction line and additional constraints but should be pretty straight forward.. Please let me know if you need any further explanation.
    //rami
  • allen_keshishianallen_keshishian Member Posts: 9
    Thank you, thats what I have been doing.  I thought there might be an easier way.  
  • Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
    This operation (in sketch) could do with an easier solution - paste, select all, choose point of rotation and drag rotate to final position. 

+1 for an upgrade!
    This operation (in sketch) could do with an easier solution - paste, select all, choose point of rotation and drag rotate to final position. 

+1 for an upgrade!
    It would indeed be useful to be able to select a bunch of sketch entities and group them. Among other things, this would support the sort of ad hoc rotation you seek.

The group would include a sketch point to specify the desired rotation centre. Applying a "fix" constraint (or a pair of dimensions) to this point would mean the group would rotate about it.
  • Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
    @andrew_troup ,

Had forgotten to group my parts after selection!

I was needing to do this operation yesterday when trying to copy a sketch from one plane to another (planes at different angles to each other) and although I could paste the copied sketch, the orientation was completely wrong on the new plane and it appeared that the copy 'carried over' constraints from the first plane, making it impossible to rotate without distortion. I gave up in the end and redrew the sketch on the new plane from scratch.

I was needing to do this operation yesterday when trying to copy a sketch from one plane to another (planes at different angles to each other) and although I could paste the copied sketch, the orientation was completely wrong on the new plane and it appeared that the copy 'carried over' constraints from the first plane, making it impossible to rotate without distortion. I gave up in the end and redrew the sketch on the new plane from scratch.
    The trick is to avoid using constraints (in the first sketch) to any global frame of reference. For instance, avoid horizontal and vertical constraints, replacing them with 'perpendicular' between elements, and then apply a single constraint or angular dimension to prevent the sketch rotating. 
    Then when you paste the sketch in a new location, you should be able to simply delete that single constraint and recreate it in an appropriate way for the new situation.