Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New Custom Feature: Simplify

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,353
A common requirement when sharing CAD data is to simplify it by removing internal details and intellectual property. This feature, in combination with in-context modelling, creates a simplified representation of an assembly or part. Please try it out and if you find any problems or have any examples where it doesn't work, let me know. Enjoy!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3f84343841cb6d7fead072c8

Video on how to use:
https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/brqf5bhnb4

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    This is awesome! Thanks!
    +1
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 477 PRO
    @NeilCooke
    Seems like the document is view only. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    Nice
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,353
    @NeilCooke
    Seems like the document is view only. 
    It's public - probably the easiest way to add it is to go to the "add custom features" button and copy/paste that URL into the search dialog.
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 477 PRO
    Sorry, I was looking in the wrong tab. 
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    !!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Really cool feature! Thanks, Neil.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • imants_smidchensimants_smidchens Member Posts: 62 EDU
    nice! Beat me to it :)

+1 really cool
  • 王振翊王振翊 Member, Channel partner Posts: 6 EDU
    這個功能太棒了

• fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 137 PRO
    Great feature! I‘ve missed this, and it will save me a lot of time. 
  • glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Neil. Simplified is a great tool. Think I found an other use for it. "Weldments".
    Weldments are made from assemblies but when completed are one part that can be modified. ie. machine the top off to flatten and remove distortion. Drill a few holes and what not.
    Would apply to castings also.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4d54c097f06df74ad7d2c098/w/95756f907817bad134521b92/e/4e1b749797af37864c6f3b15
  • stephen_des_jardinsstephen_des_jardins Member Posts: 2 PRO
    I'm trying to use simplify to build a pipeline from complex onshape to usable urdf for robot simulations. also using onshape-to-robot. It would be great if there was a button to transfer mass and cog (as a custom material density) into the simplify part. Is there a way to find out what/where the "nonmanifold part" error is so it can be fixed or worked around. 
    @stephen_des_jardins - the transfer of mass/CofG is a great idea, however there is no way to read the materials of each part so the only way this could be implemented is by assuming that all parts have the same material (unlikely). You might have to do this manually by noting down the values in the mass props dialog and adding them to the simplified part.

Any non-manifold error is where two parts are touching at an infinitely small edge or vertex, so you may need to modify or move/remove one of the parts (full disclosure - I cheated in the video - the shaft seal on the gear pump is tangent to the shaft, creating non-manifold geometry, so I edited the part by a few microns first).
  • stephen_des_jardinsstephen_des_jardins Member Posts: 2 PRO
    I am currently making up a custom material and editing the density so that mass of the simplify part is equal to the mass of the source real assembly. I have not tested if the CofG (and inertia) numbers take if there are entered as override. I am guessing that onshape-to-robot calculates them fresh as it does masses. A minor error effect in my case but others may have more critical needs. As you can imagine, an automatic pipeline would be much better than requiring edits of urdf files. Onshape is continuing to look very capable as I explore more corners. 
    I am currently making up a custom material and editing the density so that mass of the simplify part is equal to the mass of the source real assembly. I have not tested if the CofG (and inertia) numbers take if there are entered as override. I am guessing that onshape-to-robot calculates them fresh as it does masses. A minor error effect in my case but others may have more critical needs. As you can imagine, an automatic pipeline would be much better than requiring edits of urdf files. Onshape is continuing to look very capable as I explore more corners. 
    You can manually override the mass and CofG without having to guess a density, but don't know where onshape-to-robot gets its info from.
  • qiayuan_liaoqiayuan_liao Member Posts: 1 EDU
    This is awesome! It is possible to accumulate the mass and inertia of each part and set (overwrite) it to the simplified one automatically?
    This is awesome! It is possible to accumulate the mass and inertia of each part and set (overwrite) it to the simplified one automatically?
    Unfortunately not, because bodies copied in-context have no mass information available to read.