Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

#TraditionalCADsucks

Comments

• michael_zeaglermichael_zeagler Member Posts: 59 ✭✭✭
    Just installed Solidworks on my machine again last week and the random BSOD has happened like three times already.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited May 2022
    File based systems... Arrgg

All I did was re-name the purple bracket holing the guide rail.
    Then it broke all of the mates attached to it for some reason.

So I deleted the mates and re-mated them. Then I switched to the extended configuration (which only extends one part that isn't associated with the guide rail... and THAT is broken still.

So, the fix was to delete the configuration and re-make it.
    So stupid.

Also broke the drawing...

I've renamed parts the same way I've been doing it for years, nothing special here. Just the most basic file associations are so unstable.

Or, better yet.
    Changed the paint color in the part properties, and it invalidated the dimensions and shot one far out...
    What trashware...

• fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO

"Only" lost 20 minutes of work..
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Time to dig up this old thread...

Had to go into SW today and opened up a document that was "released" in PDM (to revise a "legacy" drawing) and that's what I got:

Fun times! There are also a bunch of configurations (including nested "derived configurations"), it's a total nightmare to figure out what is going to be affected by any change you make or to find the differences between the different configurations!

I am ruined forever and would have a really hard time switching to a job that requires SW (i.e. it would be insanely frustrating)!

Right now the only "blocker" that could prevent anyone from using Onshape instead of SW would be if they have specific drawing requirements that can not be me met in Onshape (or they don't have reliable internet access). The 3D world has workarounds for pretty much everything I can think off (and even the ones that are convoluted I am willing to deal with!) but there are some things on drawings that just aren't supported and can't be "faked" easily.

Right now the only "blocker" that could prevent anyone from using Onshape instead of SW would be if they have specific drawing requirements that can not be me met in Onshape (or they don't have reliable internet access). The 3D world has workarounds for pretty much everything I can think off (and even the ones that are convoluted I am willing to deal with!) but there are some things on drawings that just aren't supported and can't be "faked" easily.

The only real blocker I have for ditching solidworks is one customer that demands we use SW, even though they never receive a pack and go... But We've slowly started to claim certain I.P. as our own and refuse full drawing sets. So, we are working around that issue already.. :) I've almost become full time in Onshape myself, just need the other 3 guys here to start the tutorials... I feel the light at the end of the long tunnel trying to change over to OS. Almost there....

But since this thread has been opened up again, I had some screenshots sitting in my downloads folder waiting for me to get pissed enough to post. May as well do it now.. :)

Cool, design finished, just need to save as PDF...

Yes, solidworks.. that is exactly what i was expecting

I messed with this for hours before I gave up and said fuck it... sorry assembly (and customer deliverables...), you will have to deal with looking at it too.
    @john_mcclary
    LOL!
    Looks about right, what more do you want?! Does it only break when you export the PDF, that seems like a fun one... How about printing to PDF from a current view that looks ok (assuming you can still get that)?

It turned out that a ctrl+Q would "fix" the issue, except that it also swapped out the font in the process (with no warning or indication that this was going on of course)...

Turns out I upgraded my workstation since this was last edited and I didn't have the one specific font required... No warning though!

As a side note I believe that this sort of issue is why we don't have "custom fonts" in Onshape: they haven't found a way to make sure that things will look the same regardless of who opens the document and from what type of machine...

No amount of rebuilding worked, it was just corrupt. We've all had pdf issues since switching to 2022.

I always have issues with sw. I just don't post as much anymore since I'm using it less  ;)
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    I use Onshape for all of my hobby/personal work and Alibre Expert for the few paying jobs that I do.  Over the past 3-4 days I've been using Alibre for a simple project and it's been driving me nuts with its idiosyncracies.  Guess I've gotten too used to Onshape's way of doing things, even though I've used Alibre for 15+ years and am just one version behind the current offering.

I'd be more than happy to my Alibre annual maintenance fees toward a mid-tier Onshape version.

• homebrewdesignhomebrewdesign Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I found a way out of using Solidworks; it involved changing career paths, which means I don't use Onshape anymore either. I'm now with a custom homebuilder using Chief Architect. I'd love to be able to build out the functionality a program like that offers into Onshape, but that seems way to complicated.
    Nothing like coming in for 12hrs on a Sunday because you're a week behind and you need to release Monday...
    and you get this...

• michael_stallsmichael_stalls Member Posts: 59 PRO
    After 6 years of onshape usage bliss  ive started employment at an organisation that still uses CATIA v5 Arrgggghhhhhh!!
    short of hitting myself in the head repeatedly with a hammer ....are there any good tutorials for those going from onshape to back to catia????  I hope to convince them to change to onshape at some point but for the time being ill have to do things their way using catia
    cheers 
    Michael  
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    After 6 years of onshape usage bliss  ive started employment at an organisation that still uses CATIA v5 Arrgggghhhhhh!!
    short of hitting myself in the head repeatedly with a hammer ....are there any good tutorials for those going from onshape to back to catia????  I hope to convince them to change to onshape at some point but for the time being ill have to do things their way using catia
    cheers 
    Michael  
    What does the company make? I thought only the airplane companies use Catia. My college professor told the class in 2000 or 2001 it cost 100k per seat. Maybe he was counting the Unix box too, IDK?
  • Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    @michael_stalls I wish you all the best with CaTiA! Hope you make it back to onshape one day! :)
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    I asked ChatGPT to write a funny text to protect us from old CAD software:

Title: CAD-osaurus Protection Act: Saving Engineers from Extinct Software

Attention all engineers, lawmakers, and CAD enthusiasts! We have an urgent matter at hand. We all know the trials and tribulations of our dear colleague who has been forced to use outdated CAD software, while their heart desires the sleek, modern goodness of Onshape. It's time to take a stand and protect our engineers with a law, akin to anti-animal cruelty laws - introducing the CAD-osaurus Protection Act!

Imagine being trapped in a world where you're forced to wrestle with the slow, clunky monstrosity of ancient CAD software. A world where you're endlessly waiting for your design to load, praying that your work hasn't vanished into the abyss of unsaved projects. No one should have to endure such hardship!

That's why we must pass the CAD-osaurus Protection Act, which will:

1. Outlaw the usage of CAD software older than a decade, saving our engineers from the perilous claws of outdated tech.
    2. Ensure proper care and training for all engineers, allowing them to frolic freely in the land of Onshape and other modern CAD software.
    3. Provide emotional support for engineers recovering from the trauma of using CAD relics, offering them a sanctuary to rediscover their love for design.

Join us in our quest to save engineers from the torturous grip of archaic CAD software. It's time to retire the CAD-osaurus and let our engineers thrive in a world of innovation and progress. Sign the petition today and help us make history by saying no to CAD cruelty!

Remember: An engineer's smile is worth a thousand Onshape sketches. Let's bring those smiles back!

The Ingenious Engineer's Guide to Converting Your Boss to Onshape

Step 1: The Subtle Hint

• Replace your boss's coffee mug with one that reads, "Onshape: Fueling the Future of CAD" and watch as the seeds of curiosity are planted.

Step 2: The Onshape Fairy

• Sneak into your boss's office and leave an Onshape brochure on their desk, along with a note signed, "Yours magically, The Onshape Fairy."

Step 3: Host an "Out with the Old, In with the New" themed office party

• Serve CAD-osaurus shaped cookies and "Onshape-eroni" pizza to make the distinction between old and new CAD software crystal clear.

Step 4: The Friendly Competition

• Challenge your boss to a CAD duel, pitting your Onshape skills against their old CAD expertise. When they see your effortless design process, they'll be green with envy!

Step 5: The Testimonial Montage

• Record short video clips of your colleagues raving about the wonders of Onshape, and present it to your boss as "The Onshape Chronicles: Tales of Modern CAD Triumphs."

Step 6: Suggest a "CAD Software Swap Day"

• Propose an office-wide event where everyone gets to try out a different CAD software for a day. Watch as your boss falls in love with Onshape's smooth interface and powerful features.

Step 7: The Time Capsule

• Bury a copy of the old CAD software in a time capsule during a team-building activity. As you all take turns shoveling dirt onto it, proclaim, "Out with the past, in with the future - of CAD!"

Step 8: The Intervention

• Gather your fellow engineers for a heartfelt intervention, sharing stories of how Onshape has revolutionized your work, and emphasizing the importance of embracing modern CAD software for the success of the company.

Step 9: The Final Countdown

• Set a countdown timer on your boss's computer to the "official" Onshape migration day. When the timer reaches zero, burst into their office with confetti and party horns, ready to kick off the Onshape era!

Remember, persistence is key. Soon enough, your boss will be singing the praises of Onshape, and the days of CAD-osaurus software will be a distant memory!

cheers 
    Michael  
    What does the company make? I thought only the airplane companies use Catia. My college professor told the class in 2000 or 2001 it cost 100k per seat. Maybe he was counting the Unix box too, IDK?
    airplanes of course !.............i dont think catia costs that much nowadays ...at least i hope it doesnt 
    @michael_stalls I wish you all the best with CaTiA! Hope you make it back to onshape one day! :)

Ill never quit onshape ! its the best 
    I asked ChatGPT to write a funny text to protect us from old CAD software:

Title: CAD-osaurus Protection Act: Saving Engineers from Extinct Software

Attention all engineers, lawmakers, and CAD enthusiasts! We have an urgent matter at hand. We all know the trials and tribulations of our dear colleague who has been forced to use outdated CAD software, while their heart desires the sleek, modern goodness of Onshape. It's time to take a stand and protect our engineers with a law, akin to anti-animal cruelty laws - introducing the CAD-osaurus Protection Act!

Imagine being trapped in a world where you're forced to wrestle with the slow, clunky monstrosity of ancient CAD software. A world where you're endlessly waiting for your design to load, praying that your work hasn't vanished into the abyss of unsaved projects. No one should have to endure such hardship!

That's why we must pass the CAD-osaurus Protection Act, which will:

1. Outlaw the usage of CAD software older than a decade, saving our engineers from the perilous claws of outdated tech.
    2. Ensure proper care and training for all engineers, allowing them to frolic freely in the land of Onshape and other modern CAD software.
    3. Provide emotional support for engineers recovering from the trauma of using CAD relics, offering them a sanctuary to rediscover their love for design.

Join us in our quest to save engineers from the torturous grip of archaic CAD software. It's time to retire the CAD-osaurus and let our engineers thrive in a world of innovation and progress. Sign the petition today and help us make history by saying no to CAD cruelty!

Remember: An engineer's smile is worth a thousand Onshape sketches. Let's bring those smiles back!

Hear hear !! ill vote for this!

The Ingenious Engineer's Guide to Converting Your Boss to Onshape

Step 1: The Subtle Hint

• Replace your boss's coffee mug with one that reads, "Onshape: Fueling the Future of CAD" and watch as the seeds of curiosity are planted.

Step 2: The Onshape Fairy

• Sneak into your boss's office and leave an Onshape brochure on their desk, along with a note signed, "Yours magically, The Onshape Fairy."

Step 3: Host an "Out with the Old, In with the New" themed office party

• Serve CAD-osaurus shaped cookies and "Onshape-eroni" pizza to make the distinction between old and new CAD software crystal clear.

Step 4: The Friendly Competition

• Challenge your boss to a CAD duel, pitting your Onshape skills against their old CAD expertise. When they see your effortless design process, they'll be green with envy!

Step 5: The Testimonial Montage

• Record short video clips of your colleagues raving about the wonders of Onshape, and present it to your boss as "The Onshape Chronicles: Tales of Modern CAD Triumphs."

Step 6: Suggest a "CAD Software Swap Day"

• Propose an office-wide event where everyone gets to try out a different CAD software for a day. Watch as your boss falls in love with Onshape's smooth interface and powerful features.

Step 7: The Time Capsule

• Bury a copy of the old CAD software in a time capsule during a team-building activity. As you all take turns shoveling dirt onto it, proclaim, "Out with the past, in with the future - of CAD!"

Step 8: The Intervention

• Gather your fellow engineers for a heartfelt intervention, sharing stories of how Onshape has revolutionized your work, and emphasizing the importance of embracing modern CAD software for the success of the company.

Step 9: The Final Countdown

• Set a countdown timer on your boss's computer to the "official" Onshape migration day. When the timer reaches zero, burst into their office with confetti and party horns, ready to kick off the Onshape era!

Remember, persistence is key. Soon enough, your boss will be singing the praises of Onshape, and the days of CAD-osaurus software will be a distant memory!

these are good ideas ...seriously its like being a graduate again ! ........i did heaps of catia courses years ago in my first job and catia doesnt seem to have changed much since then but i cant seem too make anything happen ..........argghhhhh!!!!

Clash of the CAD Titans:
    Onshape vs Traditional CAD - The Epic Rap Battle
    (powered by ChatGPT 4.0)

(Verse 1: Traditional CAD)
    Yo, I'm the Traditional CAD, the one that's tried and true,
    I've been around for ages, while Onshape's still pretty new.
    I've got the tools and skills, the industry knows my name,
    SolidWorks, AutoCAD, we're all part of the same game.

You talk about the cloud, but I'm the one on the ground,
    I've built the foundation that your new tech's based around.
    I've got my loyal users, who stick with me through it all,
    Crashes, bugs, and updates, they know I'll stand tall.

(Verse 2: Onshape)
    Onshape's in the house, I'm the future, you're the past,
    I'm innovating CAD, while you're stuck in a time that's last.
    Cloud-native, accessible, no need for fancy gear,
    I'm the go-to solution that the new gen engineers cheer.

I'm agile, collaborative, built for the modern age,
    No more check-in, check-out, no more files to engage.
    My PDM's in the system, real-time updates, I can gloat,
    While you're stuck in the mud, with your archaic bloat.

(Chorus)
    Onshape, Onshape, we're the future, can't you see,
    Traditional CAD, it's time to bow to our decree.
    We're agile, flexible, built for this new age,
    No more frustration, with us, it's time to turn the page.

(Verse 3: Traditional CAD)
    You talk a big game, but I'm not down and out,
    I've got history and knowledge, something you can't live without.
    My users trust me, their designs, I help create,
    While you're still proving yourself, our bond you won't break.

My licensing might change, my costs might rise,
    But my users are willing to pay, for the skills I provide.
    I'll adapt, I'll evolve, your challenge I won't fear,
    Traditional CAD ain't going nowhere, I'll still be here.

(Verse 4: Onshape)
    It's cute you think that way, but I'm the one taking the stage,
    My flexible pricing, my ease of use, I'm the new sage.
    Zero IT footprint, no downloads or installs,
    I'm the fresh CAD system that's breaking down the walls.

FeatureScript automation, custom workflows, I'm unique,
    I save teams 50% of their time, that's no small feat.
    So take a step back, Traditional CAD, it's time to move,
    Onshape's here to stay, it's time to embrace the groove.

(Chorus)
    Onshape, Onshape, we're the future, can't you see,
    Traditional CAD, it's time to bow to our decree.
    We're agile, flexible, built for this new age,
    No more frustration, with us, it's time to turn the page.

(Bridge)
    We've had our fun, we've had our say,
    But in the end, it's clear who's here to stay.
    Onshape's the future, the way to go,
    Traditional CAD, it's time to take it slow.

(Outro: Onshape)
    I've shown you the light, the path that's clear,
    Embrace the change, the future's here.
    Onshape's the winner, we've won the fight,
    Traditional CAD, it's time to say goodnight.
    Haven't posted on this thread in a while, luckily I've been able to stick on Onshape mostly exclusively for the last year :)

So, we finally upgraded to sw 2023 (in august..) and it never disappoints to add more bugs.
    now some pattern instances are glitched while trying to skip instances

Arg

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    edited September 2023
    cheers 
    Michael  
    @michael_stalls Sorry to see you go! I did find a good tutorial, unfortunately it only plays with QuickTime player so I wasn't able to view it.

On a serious note, it may be possible to find some tutorials from SolidWorks to Catia. Because SW is similar to OS, this may help you make the transition to Catia.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    Poor guy :(

Have Onshape's sales team contact your new job!
    LoL,
    Having to wait just to close something down gets me every time! Extra dumb when it was opened read only (not checked out in PDM)!
    Apparently the SW dialogs are messed up on my install..

Note to self,
    -"Frequency" means "All Sheets"

-"ng mid-surfa" means "Save"

Oh my God, pretty much everything in the settings dialogue is messed up...

I guess it gives me another reason to uninstall SW, Hopefully I can avoid re-installing it if I'm lucky...
    @john_mcclary
    Look like a registry corruption issue (hopefully)... If I remember correctly you have to find the relevant "Solidworks" registry folder and delete it (or rename to _crap for a safer option) it will recreate it next time SW starts up (with default settings...). But yeah... that's an interesting looking one...

"Hey there! With a little creative brainstorming, ChatGPT and Sebastian have teamed up to craft some amusingly fictitious reasons for John to sidestep using SolidWorks. For those looking for a laugh or two, dive in and see just how 'compelling' these excuses can be!"

1. Allergic to Non-Cloud Programs:
       "Hey Boss, ever since I started using Onshape, I've developed this strange allergic reaction to non-cloud CAD software. Every time I even think about using SolidWorks, I get these weird hives and start sneezing uncontrollably. Maybe it's the dusty old CDs? For the sake of our office air quality, I think it's best I stick to Onshape!"

2. SolidWorks-Induced Panic Syndrome (SWIPS):
       "You know, Boss, my therapist diagnosed me with SWIPS - SolidWorks-Induced Panic Syndrome. Every time SolidWorks crashes, I suffer from rapid heartbeat, excessive sweating, and flashbacks to unsaved projects. For the sake of my mental health (and the sanity of our colleagues), I need to be on Onshape therapy only. It's a new cutting-edge treatment, promise!"

3. The Church of Onshapeology:
       "Boss, I have some exciting news! I've recently founded the Church of Onshapeology. It's a fast-growing spiritual movement that believes in the sanctity of cloud-based CAD. One of our core tenets is that our disciples cannot touch or interact with 'earth-bound' software like SolidWorks. It's just against our beliefs. I'm sure you understand. Would you like a pamphlet?"