Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

#TraditionalCADsucks

john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,883 PRO
I can't wait for OnShape to take over the world...

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,883 PRO
    edited August 2017
    How much time to you spend saving in a day... (thank the cloud for no saving!)

This blitz took me about 16 minutes before I set a brick on the enter key and walked about... Just because SW doesn't know what ALL means (2930 unique parts) :(

Ended up being About an hour and 21 minutes... just so I can delete these parts... solidworks just wanted to ask because it still had them in memory... they were already deleted from the assembly.... damn imported step files leaving junk behind... I was at a point where I couldn't close and re-open to clear that memory without (possibly) loosing something else.

https://youtu.be/PIRhm0JDVjI
     It really is a great product ! wouldn't go back to CATIA even if it was free.....just wish more companies would hurry up and get on board.
    I feel the same way about SolidWorks with every new and "Improved" version...
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    I use PTC Creo daily to design engines and I absolutely hate it. I'll acquiesce that it's a very powerful program, but when you use it for 8 hours a day it becomes the bane of my existence! After experience in Inventor, then SW, then Creo, and finally Onshape, I am 100% sold on Onshape over them all.

Every day I look forward to leaving work going home and hopping on Onshape! It's taken all the tedious and mind numbing processes I have to deal with in traditional CAD and actually made it enjoyable again! I feel like I'm playing with a toy, but with a professional outcome to my play time!
    edited January 2018
    I use PTC Creo daily to design engines and I absolutely hate it. I'll acquiesce that it's a very powerful program, but when you use it for 8 hours a day it becomes the bane of my existence! After experience in Inventor, then SW, then Creo, and finally Onshape, I am 100% sold on Onshape over them all.

Every day I look forward to leaving work going home and hopping on Onshape! It's taken all the tedious and mind numbing processes I have to deal with in traditional CAD and actually made it enjoyable again! I feel like I'm playing with a toy, but with a professional outcome to my play time!
    I agree, I do the same thing, I get home and jump on onshape and it's more like a video game to me. All my friends keep telling me to jump into For Honor, or Final Fantasy, "I've got to get just a little more done on this model guys.. then I'll jump on".. midnight rolls around.. and the wife is telling me to get to bed now!

Not sure why it's so addicting.. could be the quick release schedule. It's constantly being improved, there are always new features to play around with. It always feels fresh and new.

edit:  I guess here is the case and point.. I'm on lunch break and I take that time to use OnShape and browse it's forums.. :)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I love the simplicity of Onshape and really think a lot of the workflows for modeling and basic assembly have become very easy and productive to use, I remember craving Onshape while using other packages for work. I am now using Onshape as my primary CAD and loving getting my project started, the ease of collaboration, no IT overhead, etc, but looking for more tools to bring projects home and getting things into production with ease and reliability. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    In PTC Creo I occasionally try to create a sketch for multiple features to use. Then i remember that CREO CANT DO THAT! I have to create new sketches for everything I do. Every...single....feature. Oh, and the features can consume the sketch and not allow me to re-route that sketch to a different feature or pull it out of the feature. I cant wait to get home and hop onto Onshape
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @john_mcclary I'd like a $ for every time I made that mistake is SW's. On flip side sometimes I just want break out a sketch in an Onshape assembly and not have to add it in a part studio first but ultimately appreciate the Onshape structure and model stability multi-part and in-context give.  
    LOL
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,033 EDU
    I can't wait for OnShape to take over the world...

Damn you @john_mcclary, I left this page open on my PC and upon returning tried to click the "close the program" button.  For extra stupidity points SW isn't even installed on this machine :)

Cheers,

Owen S.
    :D Haha  :):D 
    mb - draughtsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    It seems like every time I go back to a Solidworks project I find more reasons to stay in OnShape..

Today's failure, I suppose SW gets jealous with you if you don't open your project for 2 months.. This was all clean when I last left it. Looks like I get to spend my first couple of hours on this "quick update" just cleaning up the broken parts before I can even begin working..  :'(

It must have turned all those lights on for Christmas.
    Ur-ma-gurd... I've been spoiled... Haven't had to use Solidworks in a few weeks..

Here I am leaving for the day and I forgot how long it takes just to close the software and go home...
    I feel like that guy from office space right now..

edited March 2018
    Spent a few minutes today looking for Ball Mate...

Oh that's right, Solidworks has 3 pages of mate types, but not ball.. pffftt

Really wish they started this project in Onshape for when I took it over..

Happy Thursday,
    Today will be another great day using solidworks, can't you feel my excitement...
    I'm supposed to be finishing my onshape project yesterday... But I got pulled onto this one again :'( 

After about a half hour of recovering backups (had to go all the bay back to sunday's backup, even though I was in it all day yesterday...) I finialy got it to open. Since then I have been trying to fix one of the other parts that got corrupt, for some reason it's flat pattern is screwed up. Bounding box is not even on the same plane as the part...

Been here for an hour now, and I finally get to make my first edit to the project today... I wonder what else became corrupt overnight...

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Awesome thread and we are very happy to hear that what we have built so far is working for you (we still have a long way to go)!!!

That said, i have a favor to ask - all of you here are pretty prolific posters (John, Rami, Eduardo, Bruce, Owen AND OTHERS) - but between you lot, we have about 5 different capitalizations and spellings of Onshape!!!!!

If you want us to take over the world and give you the best CAD system ever, please meet us half way and all call it the same thing (Onshape!) :):):)

THANK YOU :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
    So On-ShaPE Then?
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @philip_thomas

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure it's spelt OnShape. I can't be held responsible for all the typos in your company literature.  :)

BTW isn't On-shape a given for decent CAD? It would be pretty crummy CAD if it was CloseButJustToTheLeftShape or JustABitSmallerThanYouDrewItShape.

In all seriousness what does the name mean, I never really got it?

Cheers,
    OwEn.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    LOL - You're all comedians!
    Yes OwEn - you too! :)

There is actually a real answer to 'what does it mean?'
    We were very nearly going to be called something else until one of the (very many) interviewee's came up with this gem;
    "I need my parts on-time, on-price and on-shape" - the rest (as they say) is history!

And now you know :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited June 2018
    Cool, I like it. Thanks.

My dept. works more like paraphrasing MeatLoaf. "Two out of three ain't bad".

OwS.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    @owen_sparks nioce
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭
    We were very nearly going to be called something else until one of the (very many) interviewee's came up with this gem;
    "I need my parts on-time, on-price and on-shape" - the rest (as they say) is history!

And now you know :)
    Did he get the job?