Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

#TraditionalCADsucks

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,883 PRO
    Looks like I may have found the cause of all the corruptions. One of the hard drives in the server died. It's a RAID11 so that kind of explains why only certain files were going bad.

But still goes to show how cloud storage managed by an I.T. staff is better than an on premise system where it sits in a closet waiting for someone to get on their hands an knees to look for an amber light after losing a bunch of work. I never lost even a mouse click in Onshape. (unless you delete a branch without making a version... But that's on you :) )

I didn't think of the hard drive because it happed at the exact same time we upgraded, and those files were originally 2019 being converted to 2021. I figured they were lost in translation. Oh well. We will see if that solves the corruption and files missing issue.
    edited May 2021
    Pfft. . . 

Now SW won't even let me save or close 
    What's stranger is it flip flops between two different save dialogs, hah

• PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    I had to bring SW back into use for a couple days. Very slow and a couple crashes to boot. Kept getting messages about insufficient memory as well. This computer is fairly new and not short on resources.
    To top that off my keyboard battery died in the middle of typing this note.
    Yea the low resources thing is BS, it will say that when its at about 12gigs of ram. even though I have 32 and everything else is idle. usually means close everything and restart it. spend so much wasted time managing the software's stability rather than modeling.
    Right now I'm missing Onshape's ability to export a bom, edit in a spreadsheet then paste a clean bom back into Onshape.

This is going to take a while in SW...

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hmm, I was thinking about taking on a project the specifically required SW but after reading over some of this thread I don't think it will be worth the effort or cost of set up. If it's not Onshape it's not ON. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    Yea, we have one customer who demands native sw. Unfortunately it's our biggest customer. 
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Yeah, but with SolidWorks an assembly that's valid today will be valid in five years, so they have that going for them. It seems every time I go back to look at an old Onshape assembly that I haven't touched in months and that was perfectly completely fine when I last left it is somehow broken. It's very difficult to use a model that's broken.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    tony_459 said:
    Yeah, but with SolidWorks an assembly that's valid today will be valid in five years, so they have that going for them. It seems every time I go back to look at an old Onshape assembly that I haven't touched in months and that was perfectly completely fine when I last left it is somehow broken. It's very difficult to use a model that's broken.
    I do have trouble with Onshape assemblies and struggle sometimes rebuilding on the main node but this is mainly due to poor practices in the way we build models but can't say I have experienced coming back and finding something broken that was working.  I've always found released or versioned stuff to be completely reliable. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    oh FFS...

All those properties I filled out in the BOM a couple posts ago, It looks like only some of the information actually updated...
    For example: the sheet numbers came in correct, but the paint callout reverted back to 9002 gray/white

well that was a huge waste of time. . . 
    Guess I can't use or use SW's bom editing feature anymore. SW just got that much more worthless.

• ian_d_gardinerian_d_gardiner Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    I teach CAD at a local college. I've had many discussions like this, but here is an example from today:

>>>
    Well I contacted with IT Desk , None of their solution did’nt worked for me at all. In the end, I requested for remote access to desktop to finish the assignment. Honestly speaking , its so frustrating to do your work on remote accessed solidworks, because it is so slowwww. Anyways, I just submitted my assignment now and I hope I will get back my solidworks as it used to. If you have any other suggetions for resolving this problem , please go ahead. Thank you, Have a good day sir.
    >>>

I really feel the pain of this student. I am forced to teach the CAD courses in Solidworks because students are going into a SW industry
    I often talk about the benefits of Onshape, but I have had students complain that I get off topic :smile:
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,284
    C'mon @john_mcclary - they gave you 6 months notice. Shame on you for not subscribing to their blog: https://blogs.solidworks.com/tech/2021/07/solidworks-online-licensing-discontinuation.html (your sentiments are echoed in the comments).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Lol thanks Neil 
    I don't know why people like file based cad anymore.
    I can open gigantic projects in Onshape even tethering off my cellphone in the woods.

but it takes over 8minutes to even begin loading the first couple parts in a tiny assembly that usually takes 30 sec at work...
    this is a place I have use Onshape often too, so I know the connection is solid.

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    SolidWorks is fast for large assemblies they said...
    It's faster than cloud-based systems they said...

It's faster to import this assembly to Onshape than it is to open it in SW :anguished:

(although I'm sure at least part of the performance problems can be attributed to having to run this through my university's virtual desktop infrastructure since I recently had to reinstall Windows and thus don't have SolidWorks on my machine right now)

Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: [email protected] | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: [email protected]
    edited March 2022
    Yea, running virtual sessions of SW is a terrible experience. But your right. Sometimes you can import and open faster in Onshape than you can open native SW

And I hate how people claim SW is better at Sheet-Metal.
    Here is the same part modeled the same way in both SW and OS

edited March 2022
    As far as speed goes.

Here is what 9 hours of work looks like in SW
    (1 existing conveyor design that was pack and go 4 times for different lengths)

and here is what I did in 2 hours in Onshape (customer requested a 3d model for their customer visit tomorrow morning, how nice of them to tell me at 1:20 pm, when we only just accepted the PO last night...) 
    Technically 45min was opening an old mechanical desktop computer via remote desktop, re-linking all the broken links to the files since they moved file locations to the achieves folder just to step out the turn table base....

Either way, all the effort for both designs was really the performance gap mating 27 sub assemblies.
    Ah yes, the joys of outsourcing work to another person without YOUR version of Solidworks...

Day 4, still trying to get it installed...

Customer service after you leave for the day and your only option is a cellphone. 

Try that with other cad.. 

So, I had him drive to our office and install SW here, assuming there was some corruption of a large file download between us.

After he redownloaded the zip off our network directly and extracted it. I saw the problem.
    One I have seen before and is not obvious.

The installer screen is completely blank.
    You have to check the box in the zip file before extracting it and installing...
    So, it was a windows thing this whole time... I'm pretty sure this issue was posted here a year ago...

The fix:

Now after a couple weeks of letting him bang his head against the wall, work can actually begin...
    Arg...
    Yea, that's how I want to spend my weekend. Trying to make sense of SolidQuirks...