Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

configurations

stvnvl_8501stvnvl_8501 Member Posts: 120 PRO
Hi, 
I've been reading up on a lot of discussions relating this issue, but haven't really come across a solution for this challenge. 
Is there a way to set a value for a global variable in variable studio using part or assembly configurations? 
I have a model (part)  set up using these "variable studio - global variables" (having the variables listed up in a studio being neater than "loose" variables in the history browser of the part studio being the main reason to do so) 
Now I don't seem to be able to load these variables with a different value from the configurations, something that can be done when using local variables confined within the part studio. 
I am probably missing something here. probably to do with hierarchy? 

If for some reason above is not possible, can I convert the list of "global" variables in variable studio back to "local" variables within the part studio, which I can then control by the configuration. 

Thanks in advance! 

Regards, 
Steven 

Best Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,466
    Answer ✓
    They are global so they trickle down. You can only configure local variables (and you'll have to copy them local first).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Manually I’m afraid. 

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    They are global so they trickle down. You can only configure local variables (and you'll have to copy them local first).
  • Options
    stvnvl_8501stvnvl_8501 Member Posts: 120 PRO
    Ok. clear Suspected something like that alleready. one more question: how can you "copy" them? 
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Manually I’m afraid.