Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Assembly

john_brodowskijohn_brodowski Member Posts: 37
I am Pro-E user. Loaded free OnShape on my laptop few days ago for experimentation.
I did not encounter any problems modeling parts, but have a problem with Instances in the assembly mode.
All my parts have assigned names (Part 1 to 4)and are listed as such in the Document file .
I am trying to model assembly, but all the parts have one name Part 1 in the assembly Instances.
It looks like the assigned part numbers are ignored and only Part 1 that was modeled first is used.

Comments

• Options
    I am Pro-E user. Loaded free OnShape on my laptop few days ago for experimentation.
    I did not encounter any problems modeling parts, but have a problem with Instances in the assembly mode.
    All my parts have assigned names (Part 1 to 4)and are listed as such in the Document file .
    I am trying to model assembly, but all the parts have one name Part 1 in the assembly Instances.
    It looks like the assigned part numbers are ignored and only Part 1 that was modeled first is used.
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @john_brodowski in each part studio you will need to name the parts for them to display in the assembly correctly.  In the parts section under the feature tree---> right click on "Part 1" and rename.  

The high level part studio name doesn't tag the parts with that name because onshape allows multiple parts to be created in the same part studio.  

• Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @john_brodowski  It looks like you have created four tabs having names Part Studio 1, Part Studio 2, Part Studio 3 and Part Studio 4 and created one part in each tab with default name Part1. So whenever you insert the parts in assembly it will identify the name of the part created in part studio but it won't restrict you to insert the different parts with duplicate names. So as suggested by @coleman you can rename the parts before inserting.
    In Onshape it is provided to create multiple parts in one tab. In this method created multiple parts will not take duplicate names by default unless and until you rename them.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Hard to say without seeing your model but I would throw a wild guess that you only need 1 part studio and maybe not assembly at all..?

Onshape assemblies are mainly for moving parts and static relations can be done directly in part studio.
    //rami
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your responses. I will try it again.
    My assembly  models in Pro-E (CREO) are very large (30,000 kb +)
    In order to model assembly of such  a large component, I must be able to cross section the component in order to insert the part into it-make insertion point visible.
    Entire system may consist of 10 or 14 such assemblies.
    1-I was unable to find Cross Section commend in OnShape
    2-How does OnShape handle large components
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Biggest thing doc I have is 170MB with 2207parts, takes  about 2 minutes too open. It is a bit sluggish (as expected) but I would say performs better that solidworks with the same style of mirrors and transforms.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1- I was unable to find Cross Section commend in OnShape
    Pick a plane, then Click on the cube to the right of the view-cube, and choose "Section View"
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your information.
    I will dedicate more time learning OnSape.
    Many OnShape modeling commends are simpler than Pro-E commends.
    At times, I find Pro-E very frustrating.
    Anyone here can make a comparison between the two? I don`t know OnShape well enough to
    make a judgement.

• Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for your information.
    I will dedicate more time learning OnSape.
    Many OnShape modeling commends are simpler than Pro-E commends.
    At times, I find Pro-E very frustrating.
    Anyone here can make a comparison between the two? I don`t know OnShape well enough to
    make a judgement.

Well at this point of time comparing ProE with Onshape based on feature availability is not appropriate. But I can say that Onshape is very simple to learn comparing to Pro-E because if something in ProE fails resolving is very difficult unless you remember the references. But in Onshape it is easy to resolve. ProE approach is purely parametric and it is offline CAD and Onhape is Online CAD. ProE needs dedicated PDM for data management but Onshape is purely cloud based so no separate PDM is required. ProE do not have real time collaboration and version management (Branching and Merging) as in Onshape.
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @john_brodowski I started my career on Pro/E, used primarily SolidWorks for a decade, I'm using Creo full time for my current gig, and have been monitoring Onshape for about 9 months.

The way I think about is that the team that created SolidWorks is revisiting what CAD software should be in the age of cloud computing.

Given their progress over the last year, I'm going to guess it will be another 6 months before it has feature sets and work flows that work for production and perhaps 3 years before an organization of any size would consider making it their primary tool. However there are quite a few who are already heavily or fully invested in using Onshape.

I feel like the key difference between SolidWorks and Pro/E was their platforms. Unix and Windows. Windows offered a quick learning curve for easy tasks. Unix offered a foundation of powerful tools at the expense of an easy learning curve. I preferred Pro/E and am really disappointed with what it has become.

Onshape's platform is the cloud. It defines their approach. To use Onshape you must guarantee connectivity to their servers and your data is in their custody.

Anyway, my opinion is that it's worth keeping an eye on the progress of Onshape.