Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - September 1st, 2023

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited September 2023 in New in Onshape
It has been exactly 3 weeks since our last update, and like clockwork, we are back with another long list of improvements requested by you! So without further ado, let's dive in. 

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

LIST VIEW

List view is a new, intuitive way to navigate your Onshape data based on your product's structure, rather than Documents. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/17ta6a8cyf

DRAFT IN RIB FEATURE

You can now add Draft directly within the Rib feature.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/oeinpqt80j

ANGLE REFERENCE IN FRAMES

You can now define an angle reference when creating Frames in Onshape. This is useful when you want to define the angle of a Frame feature relative to other geometry.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/u34nmj4pmv

MID PLANE IN THIN-EXTRUDE AND THICKEN

You can now define both Thin-extrude and Thicken features with a Mid plane offset. This allows you to create geometry that represents the center and quickly offset it equally in both directions. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/3n020hsyum

CATEGORIES IN BILL OF MATERIALS

Categories can now be added to your Bill of Materials in Onshape. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/aoeektsdbf

COPY/PASTE FROM PART STUDIO

You can now copy a Part from a Part Studio and paste it to an assembly within the same Document. In the past, this was limited to parts already inserted into the assembly.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/z6lj0mbhsl

CONVERT BOOLEANS AND TEXT PARAMETERS TO EXPRESSION

You can now convert booleans and text parameters to an expression. Controlling booleans and text parameters with expressions can be especially useful when creating configurations.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/pni0pc5kkk

IMPORT APPEARANCES

You will find a new option when importing to "Import appearances." It is on by default (meaning appearances are imported by default) but can be unchecked if you do not want the imported model's appearances.

PUBLICATION IMPROVEMENTS

If you share (with export permissions granted) a Publication using Link sharing, the person you have shared with will have the option to print. This can be useful if you share with someone that does not have an Onshape account and they want to create screenshots for documentation, sales, or marketing purposes. 

DRAWINGS IMPROVEMENTS

GEOMETRIC TOLERANCE IMPROVEMENTS

You can now add information to all sides of a Geometric tolerance symbol.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/s1uqsaj9ax

CIRCULAR CENTERMARKS

You can now insert Circular centermarks in Onshape Drawings. This is especially useful for defining bolt circles.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/9yn98z0g9i

EXTERNAL THREAD IMPROVEMENTS

External threads now show a more accurate transition in Onshape Drawings.

FEATURESCRIPT IMPROVEMENTS

WHERE USED FOR FEATURE STUDIOS

Where used now supports Feature Studios. This allows you to quickly find any Part Studio (or Feature Studio) where a specific custom feature has been inserted. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ulskeuo1xi

PROFESSIONAL IMPROVEMENTS

REASSIGN TASKS

Onshape Professional and Enterprise users can now reassign tasks. In the past, the task needed to be deleted and recreated. Only the task creator and company administrator can reassign a task.

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

TEAM FILTER FOR ACTION ITEM ANALYTICS

You can now filter Action Item analytics by the team responsible for them. This gives you an easy way to see outstanding Tasks that belong to a specific team.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,382 PRO
    This is great update. So many things that I was waiting for and few good surprises.
  • Options
    robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 93 PRO
    @shawn_crocker
    I was starting to think they had forgotten about configurations.
    Good work Onshape
  • Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Thanks for cut & copy from part studio - this will be used a lot. Still waiting for custom part  library though.
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great update with a lot of awesome new features and improvements!!!

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    ben_partouchben_partouch Member Posts: 101 PRO
    Well that's a big one. Thank you guys :)
  • Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    Solid update copy/paste from part studio convert booleans and text parameters to expressions will really come in handy.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    this one's a heavy hitter! rib draft, boolean/text expressions, mid-planes in thicken/thin, copy/paste to insert parts, frames angle reference! Thanks for all of the work that went into it
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    matthew_wilson165matthew_wilson165 Member, csevp Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Amazing release!  I'm super excited for boolean and text expressions!
  • Options
    Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 56 PRO
    YOU MADE CONDITIONAL SUPRESSION. HELL F**KN YEAH! 
    I didn't think it would happen so soon!
  • Options
    Seriously though that was probably the biggest issue I had with making library items. Conditional supresson opens a whole new world!
  • Options
    There's actually one more improvement that the OP doesn't mention: now when you make a mistake entering an expression, we will frequently provide a more useful error message than before.  For example, if you enter 3 in + 2 the tooltip will now say "Cannot add length and unitless number"
    (Thanks Dan Jacobs)
    This one is actually huge! Thanks for noting it.
  • Options
    YOU MADE CONDITIONAL SUPRESSION. HELL F**KN YEAH! 
    I didn't think it would happen so soon!
    Hope I'm wrong, but if you're looking at the booleans-to-expressions thing, it's not conditional suppression exactly, which would be great to have. Boolean-to-expression is still awesome though. I just tested it out a bit and it's worth noting that it works for ALL booleans in a feature including the arrows used to flip an extrude direction or draft angle, which is powerful.
  • Options
    dan_manoimdan_manoim OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
    I've been waiting for rib draft for a long time. Great work!
  • Options
    Jerico_CandoJerico_Cando Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Great and a lot of useful stuff. Looking forward for more improvement.
  • Options
    manolinjr81manolinjr81 Member Posts: 2
    Booleans as expressions is awesome, I have been waiting for something like that for a long time. I hope boolean variables are coming too, to keep designs more "DRY", also "suppress as expression" should be awesome too. Great job, Onshape team.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    I'm looking forward to playing around with the product structure view. Thanks.

• Options
    John_vd_WerffJohn_vd_Werff Member Posts: 65 PRO
    The list view is nice, but it seems to show only items that have been released.
    Is it possible to include unreleased items and items without part numbers in the list view?
    In early concept designs we don't use part numbers and many concept parts are never released.
    We also don't release vendor components.
  • Options
    hugh_rousehugh_rouse Member Posts: 8
    Awesome work! Thank you Onshape team. Make Onshape the greatest CAD package in the world. Death to solidworks.
  • Options
    joe_dagherjoe_dagher Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Incredible release, expression driven booleans are super exciting
  • Options
    @Evan_Reese
    ugh you're right :( I completely jumped the gun on that. I've been waititng for the ability to apply logic to suppression. This is still cool but not going to save me hours apon hours of work around yet.
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,178
    @manolinjr81 What do you mean by boolean variables?  You can have a variable with a boolean value today -- just have the variable be of type "Any"
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 36 PRO
    Great updates. Thank you
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 587 ✭✭✭
    @Evan_Reese
    Thanks Evan. That was  very clarifying explanation.
    You know the next question that will come. Can the part number be retrieved as text for engraving or embossing on a part?
  • Options
    Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    edited September 2023
    Great improvements!

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter