Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Parts studios & shared dimensions

CaptainBisquickCaptainBisquick OS Professional Posts: 33 ✭✭
Am I supposed to build all my parts in one studio, or each part in a separate studio? It seems like it will be more difficult to model parts that fit together if I can't view the complimentary part while designing the new part. And what if I want to use the complimentary part for external reference?

I looked for tutorials on using parts studios, but I don't see any covering this part of the workflow. I've seen the one that shows how assemblies work, but that doesn't seem to address my questions.

Best Answer

Answers

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I tend to create all static (ie. not moving on each other) in same part studio, this saves time not needing to create fastened mates (just use group).

But the beauty of Ons is that you can make how ever you wan't - if you like you can create each part individually like traditional cad - or create multi-part design - you make the decision, not software.
    //rami
  • christian_jørgensenchristian_jørgensen Member Posts: 7
    How can two parts share the same sketch? I have a base sketch which should be used for two connecting parts. Is this possible?
  • Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    christian_jørgensen, There are many ways.

1. You can copy the sketch and paste in required plane.
    2. you can project one sketch to other parallel plane using "Use" command.

Here the one discussion which is similar to your problem.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/9252/#Comment_9252

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out this video:
    https://www.onshape.com/videos/essentials-multipart

It's a revelation (and I don't say that lightly)
  • christian_jørgensenchristian_jørgensen Member Posts: 7
    Wow great - thanks for the tips! I also found the "Derived" function useful - creating a new part studio and choosing a derived sketch from another part studio. Making changes to the original will be inherited....brilliant  :)
  • peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    I too am starting to see the advantages to designing together in one parts studio and then when bringing into the assembly drawing creating a group for all the parts rather than using fastened mates. Then using assembly to create mates between the groups. Saves a lot of agro time picking all the mates.