Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Easiest way to make slot joints for laser cutting?

matt_helliwellmatt_helliwell Member Posts: 4
I'm new to OnShape (and CAD for that matter) so bear with me: what's the easiest way to make simple slot joints to slot two perpendicular pieces of wood over each other? For example to make dividers in a box, as in the image. I can create them very laboriously but is there a simple workflow I can follow or a FeatureScript that will do it for me?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,401
    Add the box joint feature to your toolbar:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57612867e4b018f59e4d52ce
    Also the lap joint feature may help too:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/578ce95de4b0e425c1f00cda
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    matt_helliwellmatt_helliwell Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. I’d forgotten they were called lap joints!
  • Options
    lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    Not sure if you've found these yet, but I've also got a suite of laser-cut FeatureScripts I've developed:
    1. Laser Joint - automatically does finger joints for corner joints.
    2. T-Slot Joint - for when you want a removable connection - slightly less automatic
    3. Kerf Compensation - if you laser cutter (like most non-industrial laser cutters) doesn't compensate for kerf.
    4. Auto Layout - nests parts "pretty well" for cutting.
    For your particular use case, I've also got Edge Joint, which is not yet documented and still not necessarily complete, but provided "no-warranty".  It's similar to Neil's lap joint, but automatically performs joints for a whole assembly in one go, and has a heuristic to make sure the joints on all the parts are oriented in a way that makes sense.
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    @lemon1324
    Will you version that edge joint feature so I can add it?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Also look at the Laser It feature to automate making waffle structures that slot together, and look at the X-Slot feature.
  • Options
    @Evan_Reese whoops, didn't realize I never versioned it, should be accessible now.
    Arul Suresh
  • Options
    Also it looks like the X-Slot feature isn't marked for public viewing, not sure if you intend it to be or not though.
    Arul Suresh
  • Options
    lemon1324 said:
    Also it looks like the X-Slot feature isn't marked for public viewing, not sure if you intend it to be or not though.
    Ah it's the ol' enterprise domain messing things up. I just edited the links in my post above to be at cad.onshape.com instead of ovyl.onshape.com and it should work now.
  • Options
    Yep, I see it - it looks to me like X-Slot doesn't reproject the intersection volume to enforce the final part being laser-cuttable - i.e. it would cut cases B and C here at an angle and not orthogonal to each part. Is that a correct reading of it?
    Arul Suresh