Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mirror features (not parts)

dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
Hi. When making an individual part, I want to mirror a feature, such as an extrude or a cut. It seems that I cannot do this, which is odd because this is an extremely important function. 

How can I mirror a feature within an individual part? 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Andres_OssAndres_Oss Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    @NeilCooke
    When I try to mirror a feature, be it Extrude Remove,  I cannot mirror it to the other part - there is no selection to mirroring scope (to which part/body it should be mirrored to).
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,907 PRO
    Feature mirror only works on the same body

but you can fake it by connecting your parts, then mirror, then cut them apart again

• Options
    @Andres_Oss
    actually, better yet do this:

Use extrude NEW instead of extrude REMOVE

Then Boolean SUBTRACT that body
    (Make sure you also select the other bodies you want this to be mirrored to)

Then Mirror both the EXTRUDE and the BOOLEAN features at the same time

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,547 PRO
    @john_mcclary
    It depends on the seed feature scope, if you select "merge with all" (or explicitly select the second part in the original feature), then the mirror feature will apply to a separate part as well.

@Andres_Oss

• Options
    Hmm I thought I tired that originally...

Must have screwed up while testing.

First thing I did was try and re-create what Andres said, and I got his result, so I went down the wrong path :)