Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Adjust Perspective?

briancadbriancad Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
How does one adjust the perspective mode in the view cube - and how to reduce the size of facets displayed on circular items.

Brian M

Answers

• Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Neither of these attributes is adjustable at present in Onshape.
    I have submitted a ticket requesting the latter (faceting control) and I know Mark Biasotti had previously made the same request - no doubt you could ask here to be added to the ticket.
  • kinsleymarkkinsleymark Member Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    Perspective should also be adjustable. Right now, the default is way too extreme to be useful.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @kinsleymark  I agree, I have to zoom out a lot to get decent screenshots from furniture models.
    I like the feature that you can go through things when perspective is on, I was just flying inside my new warehouse aisles looking at pallet racks.
    Especially with 3d mouse, moving inside building is fun (like a game).

//rami
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @briancad , Currently these facility is not available and hope that Onshape will provide In near future. I have one work around it may be help in your case.
    1) Turn perspective view on
    2) With the help of view cube you can move view according to your requirement and get respective perspective view.

• mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    To OnS's credit - at least they have it. I remember when I saw SW'95 demo'ed for the first time, it was the first question I asked "where's perspective?" - Perspective did not happen until SW'96 i believe.

Mark
  • kinsleymarkkinsleymark Member Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    I think I figured out what bugs me about OnShape's Perspective:

With OnShape, it seems like the closer "the camera" gets to the model, the more intense the perspective gets and it becomes unusable. Like @3dcad mentioned, it works best when you're really zoomed out.

However, with SolidWorks, zooming into a model is more like zooming into a PICTURE of the model. The model doesn't get warped the closer you get to it. The view is pretty consistent no matter how far you are zoomed in or out.

I'm attaching two screenshots showing a gradual zooming-in of the same shape in both SolidWorks and OnShape. You can see the difference.

OnShape's perspective is probably more real-world realistic - but that isn't very helpful if there are no rendering capabilities. For basic modeling, I prefer SolidWorks' mechanism.

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I prefer the real world scenario, if I don't want the real look I'll just turn it off.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Currently I would prefer SW / GD style where zooming is like picture. But if we get better high resolution output (no screenshots) then I prefer real world style since that gives you control for perspective strength by zooming in/out.

But to be honest, if you take any small piece from your desk and bring it close to your eye - it doesn't look like Onshape makes it look. Your brain corrects the perspective and choose to zoom in picture style.

For example 'usb stick' 30x15x6mm doesn't look like this no matter how close to your eye you put it:

But if you look into empty 4000x4000x2500mm room from the door, it is pretty much like it looks in Onshape:

So the problem is only with small parts.

There is also another thing; for printing you need to move model around screen to fit into page then straight-front view can be like this:

This is purely printing problem, we should be able to choose the printing area. It is good that perspective changes when you drag the model from left to right or so..

//rami
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    This seems to be a feature I need at the moment. I've seen other examples with a field of view adjustment (in degrees) which allows the user to manipulate the perspective / lens. Sketchup does it well enough.
  • ricky_barnabyricky_barnaby Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Anybody know what the keyboard shortcut TOGGLE is, for perspective view ON/OFF?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @ricky_barnaby - there isn't one. You can vote on an improvement request (if there is one) in the category on the right --->
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 78 PRO
    I agree with 3dcad above, we have no problem with perspective on large models. The two images below show a Oil Platform Jacket with no change in viewpoint, only perspective on - off. 
    The jacket is 40 meter wide (as seen through it here). 
    It is actuall very difficult sometimes not to use perspective to orient yourself inside the model.

• briancadbriancad Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    My original question nearly five years ago, if not made clear then, was asking if the 'perspective angle' could be set or adjusted by the user.  While the extent of 'zoom' seems to influence the perspective displayed, I need to match CAD views having good screen resolution to real world photographs.
    I never continued with Onshape, but wonder if this capability has been added since.   
  • tim_snell803tim_snell803 Member Posts: 5 PRO
    This is something that would be very useful for us. We model camera layouts and it would be great to "see" what the camera "sees". With different models of cameras, the hFOV and vFOV change, and so an adjustable angle of FOV to for each horizontal and vertical to match would work very well.  
  • jared_fitzclarencejared_fitzclarence Member Posts: 13 PRO
    Adding to this request, especially important now given it controls so much of render studio 
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Render Studio already has camera controls, but it would be nice to have a basic control of FOV in regular Onshape with perspective on.
  • CAD1CAD1 Member Posts: 2 PRO
    I would also like this feature, we often take screenshots to present ideas to our customers and the current perspective is too strong. Would be very nice if it can be adjusted in some way.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    There's an improvement request which is now 8 years old. Dev team.... please?
  • Ketil_Volland_WorkKetil_Volland_Work Member Posts: 38 PRO
    This should be possible to do. Would welcome this as it would make it simpler to create nicer looking documentation, without having to go through rendering.

Keep adding comments to keep the thread showing up. This way Onshape will see it popping up.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I still want this often for the record
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • suresh_paulsuresh_paul Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Agreed - It would be amazing to be able to adjust. Cheers!
  • ben_druce254ben_druce254 Member Posts: 5
    Having the ability to switch between a variety of perspective depths would be immensely useful. e.g. 80mm (low perspective), 45mm (medium perspective) 20mm (high perspective) would be great. As per the comments above Onshape appears to have dynamic perspective that adjusts based on your distance from the object. 
  • Will_HaskinsWill_Haskins Member Posts: 3
    Agreed on this one. I work with models around the size of a phone, so the current perspective is not usable for screenshots. Would love to be able to adjust the view based on camera lens ratios like 50mm, 80mm, 130mm. 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @Will_Haskins as a Pro user, you have access to Render Studio which gives you much more control over cameras and perspective.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    I actually don't think I would adjust the perspective in the view port even if I could(unless the option to change it didn't require any menu navigation).  I find the perspective in the view port quite good actually.  I mean. for just getting a quick idea of what's happening in a real world sense.  I think the perspective mode can often seem extreme because a user may have been designing for hours in parallel projection.  When you go from one to the other after being in one for long, the other seems very strange to look at.  I find it the same the other way.  If I spend lots of time in perspective it starts to feel normal.  Switching to parallel suddenly feels wrong and extreme.
  • Will_HaskinsWill_Haskins Member Posts: 3
    @NeilCooke using the Render Studio is completely separate though. I'm not working in the render studio, I'm working in the model, which is either parallel projection or ~15mm when zoomed in close. I'm just looking for a usable/consistent viewing perspective in small models when doing modelling or doing quick capture screenshots for communication and real-world size feel
  • kev_easomkev_easom Member Posts: 2
    The term for this distortion-level in perspective feature is 'parallax' - it's equivalent to the difference lens FoV; 'Fish-eye' lots of parallax distortion, 'Telescope' minimal distortion.  We're trying to get a view of the 3D-object that fills the screen, but doesn't increase the contrast in proportion of items  nearest and furthest from the camera.
  • briancadbriancad Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    I originally asked how to adjust perspective nearly eight years ago.  I'm not aware that it has ever been made adjustable since - and it promptly killed off my use of Onshape.