Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - January 12th, 2024

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited February 2 in New in Onshape
It's the first update of 2024, and we are hitting the ground running. This update includes a number of highly-requested improvements, so we hope you enjoy! Let's dive in.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

DECALS

You can now insert Decals into Part Studios. Decals are visible in Part Studios, assemblies, and shaded drawing views, and can be useful for inserting company logos or warning/hazard labels.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/tj1y7xk92m

OFFSET CURVE

Offset curve allows you to offset an edge as a curve on a face. This has a number of uses, as it makes it easy to create offset curves that are attached to a face.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/cjusec3bcy

FILTER BRANCHES

You can now filter the version graph to only show branches with active workspaces. This makes it easier to filter out old information.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/xh3q8i73a2

DERIVED IMPROVEMENTS

Hide and show the individual entities inserted using a Derived feature. In the past, this was limited to hiding or showing the entire feature. This also includes custom features that import other features.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/pr8xe6ci4j

VIEW-ONLY DISPLAY STATES

Display states can now be shared with View-only permissions. This makes it easier for non-CAD users to navigate a complex assembly.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/tv6871g4r1

RELEASE VARIABLE STUDIO

It is now possible to release Variable studios. This allows Variable studios to go through your company's defined approval and release processes.

PROFESSIONAL IMPROVEMENTS

REORDER CUSTOM PROPERTIES

Onshape Professional and Enterprise administrators can now reorder their custom properties. This can be useful when you want the most important properties higher in the list.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/vyfxydvvhe

CHANGE DATE FORMAT

It is now possible to change the date format for date type properties in your company settings. 

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

SCHEDULE REPORTS

Enterprise administrators and Analytics administrators can now schedule reports for custom dashboards to run on a regular basis. The results will be emailed to the defined recipients with a frequency and in a format you choose.

DRAWINGS IMPROVEMENTS

SECTION VIEW IMPROVEMENTS

You can now create a Section view (and Aligned section view) from a Detail view. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/hialtzzhq8

DRAWING DEFINITION LIST EXPORT OPTION

When exporting an Inspection table, you can now export all dimensions to CSV with the new "Drawing definition list" export option.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/zfxx524g01

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

SELF-GUIDED ONSHAPE BOOTCAMP IN FRENCH, GERMAN, AND SIMPLIFIED CHINESE

Onshape's Self-Guided Bootcamp is now localized in French, German, and Simplified Chinese. The entire interface, closed captions, transcripts, and exercises are now all fully translated to ensure the best learning experience. The language selector is located in the bottom left while you are inside the Learning Center. 

ADVANCED PART DESIGN COURSE IMPROVEMENTS

A new video on Decals has been added to the Advanced Part Design Course. It instructs users on utilizing the new Decal feature within a Part Studio.

UNDERSTANDING CURVES COURSE IMPROVEMENTS

A new video on Offset curve has been added to the Understanding Curves course. It instructs users on utilizing the powerful, new Offset curve feature.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Nath_McCNath_McC Member Posts: 114 PRO
    Brilliant update. I'm so happy about the change in the default date.
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    Excellent round of updates.
  • Options
    Cary_BettenhausenCary_Bettenhausen Member Posts: 38 PRO
    Decals, finally. YES!
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 812 PRO
    Re ordering custom properties is huge.
  • Options
    Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Yay decals! Excellent.
    And the derived improvements is another great one.
    Thank you  :)
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,718 PRO

Starting off the year strong, this is an amazing update! Ty Onshape team!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    jason_1jason_1 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    I think my fav in this list is treating Derives more like folders in the feature tree just because that was one of my first feature requests years ago, but really this whole update is great. 
  • Options
    Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 95 PRO
    Wow, we are off to a fantastic start! Offset curve and show/hide capabilities for derived parts are some things my team have been waiting for. Nice work Onshape!
  • Options
    don_bdon_b Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    Tried to find decal and features for derived .....see screen shot .....no joy .....is there a trick for me to get this ?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,401
    don_b said:
    Tried to find decal and features for derived .....see screen shot .....no joy .....is there a trick for me to get this ?
     See the footnote in the OP 😀 - may have to wait until Monday. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    paolo_ciancipaolo_cianci Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Section view from a Detail view.
    I hope that the next update will arrive the section view from a broken view.
  • Options
    found features for derived...on new derived part so that part works. 
  • Options
    Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

ok will wait a while thank you for the heads up....if all else fails "read the instructions"
  • Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    Massive start to the year!  :) great work team
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    BOA_TechnologyBOA_Technology Member, csevp Posts: 2 PRO
    We are stoked on the Derived feature improvements. This will be so helpful for master sketch modeling.
    www.boafit.com
  • Options
    Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Yes please! Looking forward to decals and section views of detail view! 
  • Options
    Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 80 PRO
    Wow, lots of good stuff :)
  • Options
    nikhil_shringarpureynikhil_shringarpurey Member Posts: 2
    Nice improvements!  Please don't forget some of the quality of life stuff like direct SVG imports, too! Having DXF only is just too limiting in 2024.
  • Options
    christopher_dziubachristopher_dziuba Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Holy crapadoodles this is insane! The decals 100% Noice!
    Derive improvements, shared display states & Sections on details will certainly come in mighty handy!
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    The offset curve on face is important to me, and also the derived improvements. 
    Decals may seem small at first glance, but I missed them and will probably use them a lot, for they make sense in so many small ways. They should get a project or wrap option for all kind of surfaces, though. Thank you!
  • Options
    Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    Very exciting. So happy to see the decals feature. The split face and recolor faces was working but getting to be a very cumbersome process. Since we want our decals to still be parts, I just tested a simple workflow of extruding a simple sketch with the outside dimensions, and sticking the decal to it. Seems to work great!

Also very stoked about reordering the property fields.
  • Options
    danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 36 PRO
    Great updates. Thank you
  • Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 401 PRO
    Amazing update! I like the decals a lot! 
    Thank you Team Onshape for all your hard work :)
  • Options
    jari_laaksonenjari_laaksonen Member Posts: 4
    Could you explain me what's the purpose of decals? I can see them in parts and in assembly, but not in drawings or STL. I would like to place images on my desings so that I could use them directly in laser engravings or CNC.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    edited January 14
    Hmmm. Somehow I assumed that decals showed up in drawings. Without that they aren't very useful for many applications. 

Edit. Decals DO show up in drawings, but the view has to be a shaded view. As far as I can tell it's not possible to dimension the location of the decal.

• Options
    Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Could you explain me what's the purpose of decals? I can see them in parts and in assembly, but not in drawings or STL. I would like to place images on my desings so that I could use them directly in laser engravings or CNC.
    @jari_laaksonen  The STL format doesn't support any sort of texturing. When you export something as STL any texturing or color is lost.