Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Projection of a point into a sketch, in given a direction, which is NOT perpendicular to the sketch

robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 94 PRO
Hello

Am I missing something simple here? How do I project geometry in a given direction? onto a body or into a sketch? 

Imagine a the inclined ceiling plane of a vaulted pitched roof.
Imagine a very specific point on the floor (location controlled by all sorts of other things)

How do I project the location of this point on the floor onto the ceiling plane in the z axis? in the sketch, projecting the point produces a point projected perpendicular to sketch plane, which is not what I need. I need it projected in the z axis, on to the sketch plane, so its directly above the floor point? 

Am I missing a very simple sketch feature, or is this actually more complicated than I think it should be. I can do it by creating 3 sketches and projections, is this the only way?

I have found discussion of a feature to project a point on to a body along a direction by @Evan_Reese

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/16767/project-point-to-body

Any suggestions? Thankyou
Rob

Best Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,388 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Within a sketch, you can only relate things in the plane of the sketch, or projected in the z-axis of the sketch. If I understand your question, typically I would just create a helper sketch first, or there are several custom features which can create a line or project a point.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Try the Laser Measure custom feature. I think it can create a point projected in a direction onto an object.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2 Answer ✓
    MultiMateConnector will allow for as many transforms as you want in one feature, where you will also be able to place an MMC at any angle. And being it is a mate connector, you can use it for a plane also (again oriented at any angle you want)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/60aaad5abb4c499c0a577e65/w/297fe57d2f6a69da4bb31d3c/e/e8eb670ad73d9b1e6fae1b23

Turn ON an OFF the ACTIVE check box to see what each transform does.
    I started by placing the original in the upper left of the face

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,388 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Within a sketch, you can only relate things in the plane of the sketch, or projected in the z-axis of the sketch. If I understand your question, typically I would just create a helper sketch first, or there are several custom features which can create a line or project a point.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Try the Laser Measure custom feature. I think it can create a point projected in a direction onto an object.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    Great, I tried to find a custom feature, but its hard to define the search terms. Thanks again for your help
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2 Answer ✓
    MultiMateConnector will allow for as many transforms as you want in one feature, where you will also be able to place an MMC at any angle. And being it is a mate connector, you can use it for a plane also (again oriented at any angle you want)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/60aaad5abb4c499c0a577e65/w/297fe57d2f6a69da4bb31d3c/e/e8eb670ad73d9b1e6fae1b23

Turn ON an OFF the ACTIVE check box to see what each transform does.
    I started by placing the original in the upper left of the face
  • Options
    Thanks, thats great.