Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Announcing Onshape Vision for Apple Vision Pro

Darren_A_HenryDarren_A_Henry Onshape Employees Posts: 64
edited February 5 in General

This week, Apple launched Apple Vision Pro, a wearable spatial computing system that seamlessly blends lifelike digital content with users’ real physical environments.

I am excited to announce that today PTC, is releasing the Onshape Vision App for Apple Vision Pro, empowering users to interact with their product designs in a rich, immersive experience. Click here to read our announcement. 

The Onshape Vision app comes preloaded with a collection of CAD models to explore. With Onshape's iOS app, you will be able to pair an iPad or iPhone to your Apple Vision Pro and interact with your own Onshape parts and assemblies.

The Onshape Vision app will allow you to use Apple Vision Pro to:

• Visualize your product designs in the context of how and where they will be used. For example, you can see how a new machine will fit on a factory floor -  well before commissioning. You will better understand how the machine will connect to surrounding machinery and power supplies and ensure that there is enough clearance to operate and perform maintenance safely.

• Gain greater insights regarding user experience. With the Onshape Vision app, you can see your designs at full scale or shrink them to fit on your desktop. This flexibility, combined with the immersive experience, can help identify opportunities for design improvements and spark innovation.

• Have rich, immersive, real-time design reviews. Onshape Vision makes it easy to discuss designs with colleagues, customers, and suppliers. Users can review product features more effectively with no CAD experience needed. They will see the “real thing” sitting in front of them and are able to manipulate components naturally by using their hands.  Adding comments to the design is as easy as typing a message on a virtual keyboard.

The Onshape Vision App stays in sync with your Onshape design. As changes are made to the models, updates will be seen (and now experienced) everywhere! 

If you have an Apple Vision Pro, you can get the Onshape Vision app here.
To access Onshape CAD & PDM on an iPad or iPhone, download the Onshape mobile app.
If you don’t already have an Onshape account, sign up here
Design Professionals can get up to six months free with the Onshape Discovery Program.

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,383 PRO
    edited February 2
    Very exciting, but what can you actually do with this app? It seems like it's not built to do actual modeling, just reviewing? Any chance that Onshape will support full modeling capabilities on Vision Pro?
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments! It is true that right now, you would use Onshape Vision as an immersive design review tool, but we are just getting started. It is Day 1, after all. :) I think this app speaks volumes of the partnership between PTC and Apple, and the fact that the models displayed within Apple Vision Pro's canvas are always kept in sync with any changes within Onshape illustrates the power of our cloud-native architecture.
  • Options
    edited February 2
    So presumably I could use Vision Pro to view a Mac (or iPad) with Onshape running in the browser for modeling (with a mouse, keyboard and hopefully my Spacemouse would still work??), while having an Onshape Vision 3D view of my model sitting next to that?

Is the iPad Onshape App allowed to run in Vision OS?
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    S1mon said:
    So presumably I could use Vision Pro to view a Mac (or iPad) with Onshape running in the browser for modeling (with a mouse, keyboard and hopefully my Spacemouse would still work??), while having an Onshape Vision 3D view of my model sitting next to that?

Is the iPad Onshape App allowed to run in Vision OS?
    You could.. There is a mode where you look at a Mac and it allows you to basically see that main screen. You could use Onshape there with keyboard, mouse and whatever gestures the browser supports for interaction.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    There are multiple use cases and different usage modes. Apple Vision Pro can be used simply as a monitor for your browser session. BUT...With the Onshape Vision App, you can bring the model into your physical space and start manipulating it with your hands.  If you want to continue modifying the model WHILE continuing the immersive experience, you can simply work in Onshape as you always do (in a browser or Onshape mobile app) while still wearing Apple Vision Pro. You would see your changes reflected on the screen and in your workspace (which is now your entire room!).

I know this may sound confusing... But we will post videos and more great images over the next few weeks. STAY TUNED!

• Options
    brad_nelson786brad_nelson786 Member Posts: 3
    This I have been looking forward to getting AR support for onshape and may be one of the few reason I would want to get a vision but will you be making an app for the Meta headsets? They are way cheaper and have much wider adoption. What made you start with Apple rather than some other AR brand? 
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,723 PRO
    edited February 3

Congrats!!! This is exciting! 

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    HRUKHRUK Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Anyone got this working? I have the AVP app installed and the app on my iPhone for the model but nothing shows on the AVP? I click the ? Icon and still no dice?
    any tips?
  • Options
    HRUKHRUK Member Posts: 2 EDU
    It seems that you cannot pair the AVP with the IOs app yet.. need an app update on IOS. Why announce when it’s not ready?
    eitherway looking forward to using this.
    anyway to get a beta app so we can see our models?
    thx
  • Options
    rehevkor5rehevkor5 Member Posts: 13
    Are there any plans for regular VR support? For example, Valve Index & Meta Oculus?
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    Are we going to have to learn a sign language to create in the future? Can we abandon menus, keyboards & mice? How would you handle zooming? Do I have to squint to zoom in and raise my eyebrows to zoom out. If I look left will it rotate right? Am I going to talk to it? Do you think it'll be faster and will I get in shape getting my job done? Is it going to be a work out? Am I going to dance around to get something done? Will I have to lie on the floor to work under my part? 

How far are you going to take this?

• Options
    edited February 5
    I updated the post.  The iOS app now has support for Apple Vision Pro as of this weekend. You will need both the iOS app on your iPhone or iPad and the Onshape Vision app installed on Apple Vision Pro. 
  • Options
    edited February 5

@rehevkor5 I'm not sure which software OS uses to develop their apps. I know developing in Unity, it is pretty easy to cross platforms.

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Urs_Egger_REACTUrs_Egger_REACT Member Posts: 59 PRO
    billy2 said:
    Are we going to have to learn a sign language to create in the future? Can we abandon menus, keyboards & mice? How would you handle zooming? Do I have to squint to zoom in and raise my eyebrows to zoom out. If I look left will it rotate right? Am I going to talk to it? Do you think it'll be faster and will I get in shape getting my job done? Is it going to be a work out? Am I going to dance around to get something done? Will I have to lie on the floor to work under my part? 

How far are you going to take this?

For a first step I would already be very fascinated to use onshape as it is in a VR-Browser. BUT not as a flat screen. It should be 3dimensional and maybe background should be invisible. So my model and toolbars float in the air an throw shadows on my desk. Just imagine how crazy that would be already.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    @Urs_Egger_REACT our 2d flat screens have always been a problem when designing 3D products. Flying around inside a design will be a game changer for designers. Flying would be a good enough reason to upgrade to goggles even if we had to pick at floating menus.

The visual is one thing, but the user interface changes will be more drastic and exciting. They're watching our eyes, our expressions and can interpret your hands; it's hard to believe that the old ribbon of commands will survive. It's going to be about speed and how fast you can interact with the system.

I remember buying the 1st mouse from mouse house which eliminated trackballs, joysticks and foot wheels. We've been using keyboards, mice and 2 monitors for way too long. It's time for something new.

• Options
    edited February 7

Demo'd them today at the local Apple Store.

They met most of my expectations:
    • Resolution: was like looking through glasses. Could not tell it was a screen.
    • Lag: 12ms. I could feel this when resizing things with the hand tracking, but very snappy.
    • Field of view: Did not meet my expectations. I assumed since Apple didn't mention this that it was so big it wouldn't be noticed. It felt like looking through small ski goggles. Isn't a deal breaker as my normal glasses are much smaller in field of view.
    • Eye tracking: Fantastic.
    • Hand tracking: Fantastic.
    • Spatial audio: Crazy good.
    • Object placement tracking: Perfect, nothing jittered around at all.
    Will be purchasing them as soon as my funds are in order! 

Looking forward to a full Onshape app. Some things that could be useful for the app:
    • 3 tier radial menu. Since you can go xy and z, you could pinch and do a normal radial menu. Or you could pinch then push away from you to do the further radial menu or closer to you to do the nearest radial menu. This wouldn't be gestures, but it would be simple and fast and better than a ribbon menu; might get a little dizzy having to look back and forth trying to find buttons without this.
    • Floating toolbars. This would let you place customized mini toolbars around you instead of in a window. 
    • Optional HUD toolbar like you would imagine.

• Options
    matti_suuronenmatti_suuronen Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I prepared for an apartment renovation by designing in OS, converting to VR format and viewing in VR with Valve Index. That worked, but was slow and difficult, and not really realistic, as my furniture was all of the same single color. If the app could speed things up and still maintain the ability to use my existing VR headset (Valve Index), it would be just great. If not, then I guess I'll need to start saving up for yet another headset :)

Of course, the real gamechanger will be the ability to fully design in VR. It will be really interesting to see what tools there will be for sketching, tools, assemblies etc. 
  • Options
    @MichaelPascoe thanks for the review. I'll have to stop by an apple store and check them out.

• Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    Any video demos of this in action? all I can find are photos.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    edited February 9

You guys really out did yourselves! The 3 tier radial menu and floating toolbars are amazing.  :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Tcg0SdAng

• Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony Strak is that you????
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    andrew_frahnandrew_frahn Member Posts: 2
    Can you look at the headsets people use?  
    Like Quest, or any of the OpenXR headsets with Windows?

This is a huge market, and AVP is not where everyone is at.  
  • Options
    edited February 15

@andrew_frahn now that there is an Apple product to set the standard, we will probably have to wait for the "Android" equivalent before we see Onshape on the other xr platforms. The "Android" equivalent will need a minimum of: 
    • Eye tracking
    • Hand tracking
    • Environment tracking
    • Most likely one common platform that they all use similar to how Android vs Apple is now.

• Options
    Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 56 PRO
    Now just to get my boss to buy me a Vision Pro......
  • Options
    ReedGrubbsReedGrubbs Member Posts: 2
    Any video demos of this in action? all I can find are photos.
    We (Onshape marketing) will be starting to post some initial videos soon - likely in the next couple of days. Keep an eye out on Youtube and other social media. 
  • Options
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@andrew_frahn now that there is an Apple product to set the standard, we will probably have to wait for the "Android" equivalent before we see Onshape on the other xr platforms. The "Android" equivalent will need a minimum of: 
    • Eye tracking
    • Hand tracking
    • Environment tracking
    • Most likely one common platform that they all use similar to how Android vs Apple is now.

There are other interesting options
    See this article created in 2018 https://www.3dcadportal.com/onshape-hace-equipo-con-magic-leap-para-la-nueva-app-cad-de-computo-espacial.html
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    edited February 17

@emagdalenaC2i Good to know! 

Here's a neat comparison site I found:
    Had to do some digging, but found that the Leap 2 refresh rate is 60 and the Vision Pro horizontal FOV is 100 ish.

vr-compare.com

https://vr-compare.com/compare?h1=EkSDYv0cW&h2=8aL1JxO3T&h3=mt3AEYJu5&h4=0q3goALzg

HoloLens 2Vision ProMagic Leap 2Quest 3
    Resolution1440x9363660x32001440x17602064x2208
    Horizontal FOV4310070110
    Eye tracking✔️
    ✔️
    ✔️

Hand tracking✔️
    ✔️
    ✔️
    ✔️
    Refresh rate6010060120
    Price$3,500$3,500$3,300$500

Take away:

Holo 2 and Leap 2 don't have good enough FOV, refresh rate, or resolution to interest me. Remember, this will be replacing your eyes, not just a monitor.
    This leaves the Quest 3 vs Vision Pro. For the Quest, it is lacking eye tracking and resolution when compared to the Vision Pro.
    So we can't even get to the price comparison due to lack of functionality. The Quest would win this category if it had eye tracking.
    Another factor, I don't want Mark Zuckerberg messing with my data like Facebook, so probably will never get a quest. 

• Options
    Looks like there’s some competition:

https://www.shapr3d.com/vision-os
  • Options
    edited February 18

@S1mon Interesting, competitive pricing. built in dark mode, full modeling app for Vision Pro ;)

Tried it out, love the workflow! Feels free flowing like mesh modeling except its Parasolid and has a tree. It even works offline. Will be great for hobbyist and small businesses. Will need data management, version control, custom features, api, annotations, animations, etc... if it is going to compete with Onshape on Onshape's level.

Onshape vs Shapr3D Comparison