Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - February 2nd, 2024

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 34
edited February 23 in New in Onshape
February is already upon us, so of course we're due for another Onshape update! 
First though, we have an exciting announcement:

ONSHAPE VISION APP FOR APPLE VISION PRO

We're delighted to share the release of the Onshape Vision App for Apple Vision Pro. Onshape Vision offers a whole new dimension to product development by bringing 3D digital designs into our physical reality in a way that feels very natural. Users can intuitively explore 3D CAD models with their hands, eyes, and voice – there are no external buttons or controls.

For more information, please see the announcement blog post, as well as this forum thread.

As for this release, we've got some exciting new features for design workflows, as well as a handful of useful drawings improvements. Let's take a look!

PART STUDIOS

SHEET METAL BEND

You can now define a Bend in a sheet metal face using a sketched line or curve (including an edge). This will greatly improve modeling from the sheet metal flat pattern workflows.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/2hd40yb3t3

Sheet metal bend is a powerful and capable tool. Please take a look at the full help documentation, including more advanced examples!

IMPROVED MATE CONNECTOR USABILITY

Mate connectors no longer require an Owner part, but now can be owned by virtually anything. This means they can be used in many more applications, especially in layout-based design workflows.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/uv2j8yi3qs

ASSEMBLIES

INSERT PART STUDIO AS RIGID (PARAMETRIC PART STUDIO)

You can now insert an entire Part Studio into an Assembly as rigid, creating a parametric link. If a modification is made in that Part Studio resulting in the creation of a new part, the new part is automatically inserted into the Assembly as well. Similarly, if a part is deleted from the Part Studio, it is removed from the Assembly as well.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/tkpz5r1sqk

Surfaces, sketches, and composite parts are also included in the parametric insert.
If you insert a Part studio to an assembly as rigid but wish to break that link, you may do so by right-clicking on it in the assembly instance list and selecting Dissolve.

DRAWINGS

AUTOMATIC INSPECTION ITEM NUMBERING

You can now automatically number and place Inspection symbols on your drawings. You can choose to insert the symbols to annotations in any number of selected views, an entire drawing sheet, or all sheets in the drawing at once.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/wc1x4g8g07

DRAG AND DROP INSPECTION SYMBOLS

You can drag and drop Inspection symbols between any unassigned annotations. Moving the Inspection symbol automatically updates in the Inspection table. 

SHOW/HIDE HIDDEN EDGES FROM CONTEXT MENU

You may now select and show specific hidden edges in a drawing view, without having to show all hidden edges first.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/4gn2rcf2ef

REFERENCE CENTER SELECTION - CENTERMARKS

A new Reference center checkbox has been added to the Centermark dialog under the Circular option.

ALIGN CENTERMARKS TO AN EDGE

You can now right-click and select Align centermark from the context menu to align centermarks to an edge, sketch, or centerline.

AUXILIARY VIEW OF A CROPPED VIEW

You can now define a Auxiliary view from a parent view that has been cropped.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/65ypcguufs

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

NEW COURSE - NAVIGATING A DOCUMENT

Navigating a Document introduces new users to Onshape Documents. Learn how a document goes beyond traditional CAD files, and master tools to organize and extract data from Onshape documents.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Comments

• Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Bends from lines - Yes !  - Overall great set of improvments
  • Options
    CyberphilCyberphil Member Posts: 7 EDU
    Lots of good updates here! Love the ability to insert an entire part studio worth of parts, but it would be nice if there were some way to select only certain parts.

Adding mate connectors to sketches is cool, but you STILL can't add it to composite parts, which is very frustrating. 
  • Options
    Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    The linked rigid part studio in assembles will be so useful! Excellent.
    And bend via a sketched line is great too.
  • Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    Cyberphil said:

Adding mate connectors to sketches is cool, but you STILL can't add it to composite parts, which is very frustrating. 
    Mate connectors added to constituents of composite part appear in assembly when inserting composites and to the most part equivalent to owning mate connector by composite part. What are you not able to do currently with respect to adding mate connector to composite? 
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sketch bend! 
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    Mate connectors added to constituents of composite part appear in assembly when inserting composites and to the most part equivalent to owning mate connector by composite part. What are you not able to do currently with respect to adding mate connector to composite? 
    Honestly I did not know that, so that is helpful. Does that still work if you use closed composite parts? Wouldn't the child part go away?
  • Options
    ken_xuken_xu Member Posts: 6 PRO
    insert part studio as rigid is great, i don't need to create a subassembly to make it "rigid" ever again! Onshape team rocks!
  • Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    Cyberphil said:

Honestly I did not know that, so that is helpful. Does that still work if you use closed composite parts? Wouldn't the child part go away?
    It works for closed composite also. 
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great set of improvements.  Sketch bend will be very handy. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    billyzelsnackbillyzelsnack Member Posts: 77 PRO
    holy cow.

Is the age of constantly rebuilding assemblies after part studio changes finally over?
    AND
    I get to mate my sketches!

In the same update? Amazing work onshape!
  • Options
    Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    Great update! I was dreaming of a "rigid body mode" the other week. Now just make the BOM detect that all 4 of those gussets are really the same and we will be golden!

And now I want a VisionPro. I knew ya'll would come out with something, but wow on day one? Great job.
  • Options
    shawncrockershawncrocker Member Posts: 7 PRO
    I can hardly believe all this!  So many things I have been wanting.  Mate connector owned by sketches.  rigid part studios.  Going to be very useful.
  • Options
    shawncrockershawncrocker Member Posts: 7 PRO
    S1mon said:
    A bunch of very useful improvements.

Mate Connectors attached to sketches and curves is huge for how I like to design things top-down. Sheet metal bend means I can retire @MBartlett21's Fold SM. Parametric part studios are going to be very helpful for a lot of applications. All the drawing and inspection updates are making Onshape Drawings that much more competitive.

Me too!  Can't wait to see if the onshape version will cross over cutouts in the sheet metal?
  • Options
    svenolov_nystromsvenolov_nystrom OS Professional Posts: 65 PRO
    Thanks for this updade! Mate connectors parenting has been nuciance, this it is exactly what I have missing in Onshape.
    Make an weld assembly and subsequent part and drawings  in a proper way has been almost impossible in Onshape.
    I hope the new insert part studio as rigid can make a change, I will check it out.
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great update!!

En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español:
    https://youtu.be/MSp19Zfbgu4
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
    Very nice.
    I'm happy we can now export in Y-Axis up.
    On of my customers always requests that, so I always had a separate assembly with the object on its side.
    Glad I don't have to do that anymore...

Mate connectors on sketch, that is something I've been trying to do for a while.

what does this mean?

If someone gets the Apple Vision, please let me know your take on it
  • Options
    It works for closed composite also. 
    Excellent! Very happy to hear this.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,383 PRO
    @jakeramsley
    Are there any cases left now where renaming a variable results in two disconnected variables instead of one?
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3
    I have created a new update to the C2i FS Sketched Bend FeatureScript. This update is specifically tailored to integrate seamlessly with Onshape's latest features.
    This FeatureScript allows you to create double sketched bends.
    https://youtu.be/iKTmWYCmeFk
    This Macro is included in the Onshape C2i Business program that we provide to all our Onshape clients.
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    daniel_johnsen167daniel_johnsen167 Member Posts: 3
    The sheet metal feature is definitely a game changer for me. I was a bit hesitant to use Onshape, but because of this feature alone it makes it alot more worth it to me. Coming from many years in Inventor, Onshape is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Mega update, guys!
  • Options
    NicholasNicholas Member Posts: 4
    Very useful additions to the software. I especailly like the rigid option. Still adjusting to Onshape from SolidWorks but with good updates likes this, I can find more reasons to like the software.
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 278
    S1mon said:
    @jakeramsley
    Are there any cases left now where renaming a variable results in two disconnected variables instead of one?
    Most notable caveat is that this only works in a workspace (when you update a versioned reference to a Variable Studio, the uses won't update). This would be a largely disconnected improvement and, IMO, isn't nearly as important.
  • Options
    guy_rogelguy_rogel Member, User Group Leader Posts: 84 PRO
    With this new update , I would love to have the option to decide for a part studio if it is "show only assembly" , "show assembly and parts" , "show parts only
    " . it will enable to use a part studio insted of a sub ssembly special if there is no movment...

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    "Parametric Part Studio" (insert part studio as "Rigid") seems to be limited  to static groups of parts.  Part additions or deletions propagate from Part Studio to Assembly, but wouldn't it be great if those individual parts could subsequently mated to allow controlled degrees of freedom?  "Rigid" is a great tool for limited applications.

The underlying core functionality is part associativity.  I would prefer to see an option to select Rigid/Free.
  • Options
    don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 139 PRO
    Wow!  A couple of really great things in this update.  The "Parametric Part Studio" is fantastic, and I can't tell you the number of times I needed to align a centerline with an edge.  Very nice!
  • Options
    Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 56 PRO
    I legitimatelly started yelling "Wohooo", clapping and cheering out loud alone in my office for rigid part studio import & Auxilary views on cropped elevation.
    You just saved me hours of work once again. I am blown away. A feature I didn't even know I needed. Bravo!