Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - February 2nd, 2024

Comments

• Options
    Henrik_StrommeHenrik_Stromme Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Ahhh. Finally. I can't express how long I have longed for for the "Rigid" option !!  Thanks 
  • Options
    jeff_brown304jeff_brown304 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    I particularly like the improvements to Mate Connectors.  As a further enhancement, I would find it useful if there were a way to create multiple copies of the same Mate Connector with different owners.  I often want this feature when designing mating parts that all move relative to some common point such as a pivot.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,388 PRO
    I particularly like the improvements to Mate Connectors.  As a further enhancement, I would find it useful if there were a way to create multiple copies of the same Mate Connector with different owners.  I often want this feature when designing mating parts that all move relative to some common point such as a pivot.
    You want multi mate connector.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5d8da63844bedebe5cff72b1/w/96a36142be717fc84a504e3f/e/629230d0d394845d93416361
  • Options
    3d.23d.2 Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Some things seem to be broken in the new rigid PS insertion feature.
    -First of all, once a rigid PS is inserted into a sub-assy, before doing any constraints or fixing it doesn't indicate that the group has degrees of freedom. However the parts that are mated to it in this sub-assy are correctly shown as having DOFs. If you then insert this sub-assy into a higher level assembly, everything seems to work fine.
    -If you do fix the rigid PS group or mate it to the origin in the sub-assy, if inserted into a higher level assembly, this sub-assembly then loses its grouping, parts fly apart and mates start dropping errors.
    -Also, I'm not able to replicate the specific case, but at least in one case some Frame parts are not being inserted with the rigid PS.

Either way, once fixed it's going to be a critical long awaited feature. I've lost too many hours updating my assemblies for new parts and cleaning un red parts. :)
  • Options
    Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 60 PRO
    Sheet metal bends from sketches; long awaited and most welcome. Rigid part studios is fantastic! That, coupled with the mate connectors on sketch entities, as the man says, really powers up Layout based design!  Thanks for these quality of life improvements!
  • Options
    billyzelsnackbillyzelsnack Member Posts: 77 PRO
    "Parametric Part Studio" (insert part studio as "Rigid") seems to be limited  to static groups of parts.  Part additions or deletions propagate from Part Studio to Assembly, but wouldn't it be great if those individual parts could subsequently mated to allow controlled degrees of freedom?  "Rigid" is a great tool for limited applications.

The underlying core functionality is part associativity.  I would prefer to see an option to select Rigid/Free.
    Both closed and unclosed composites work with rigid. Setting up composites for independent bodies in your part studio and then inserting your part studio multiple times with appropriate suppressions is not too bad a work around.
  • Options
    stvnvl_8501stvnvl_8501 Member Posts: 119 PRO
    thanks. huge update! 

• Options
    ladislav_pochopladislav_pochop Member, HON-TS Posts: 6 PRO
    So this is a really powerful update! Thank you very much for it! :)
  • Options
    don_bdon_b Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    "Rigid"   Somewhat confused....I thought the way one should design here is one part one part studio....so now you are encouraging multi-part studios?.... 
  • Options
    It was said in an "improve performance video"  Right now I have 470 part assembly ...will not work multi-part studio ....and am getting resource exceeded notes at assembly
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/875a31545b88515f455b1903/w/60363b016e2d28df08ca502b/e/103da319c1aa224a5eee9915

• Options
    william_holden959william_holden959 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Very helpful! I know it's not the place, I'd like to see: Copy/paste features from one part studio to another, all beginning with a sketch & plane. A flat or zero degree flange option. And the ability to toggle (tab key?) the orientation of mate connectors.
  • Options
    edited February 5
    I see the error that you have too many part studios, not parts.

The warning is telling you to move the part studios into multiple documents.
    Which may be where you are confused.

That and you're forcing the highest tessellation on some parts
    That's a resource killer.

The remaining issue may be your computer?
    I'm running in edge on a new laptop, and it all loaded up in a couple seconds, I'm getting 100+ fames a second rolling around.

Here are what your stats look like

compare that to a couple of our projects
    Loads up an about 20 sec. gets around 30-40 frames a sec.

Here is the close-up of the stats:

it's broken into 9 sub documents

60% of everything shown is only created with these 3 part studios:

So, you are nowhere near the cap of what is possible.

Personally I hate multi-document design, but when you have large installations (such as what I showed)
    Then it just makes sense to break it down that way.

Since most of what you have drawn are tubes that are welded to eachother.
    I would have made one part studio drawing a simple tube.
    Then make it configurable to any diameter/wall/length.
    You would have been able to make most of your structure from just that
    Since most of what you have drawn are tubes that are welded to eachother.....

Not welded but separate parts with clips and riveted together....

there are 3 main possible sub-assemblies...front spar, rear spar, and tubes connecting inbetween.

Without detailed study of your extensive project perhaps you can quick answer...

I need to be able to edit tubes connecting ....so a question I have is :  
    say I have an assembly made up of 3 subassemblies which are in 3 separate documents 
    am I able to edit in context in the main assembly (I would hate to spend days constructing to find out answer is NO)

Can you post a link to your project? 
  • Options
    kohen_juddkohen_judd Member Posts: 2
    Is this update live?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    william_holden959 said:
    A flat or zero degree flange option. 
    See "Tab"
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    Is this update live?
    As of last Friday
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Love this guys! This is awesome! Bend line with sketch will really speed up certain geometry builds! 
  • Options
    david_mcmahondavid_mcmahon Member Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    edited February 6
    And although fixes for iOS/iPadOS were not mentioned, they finally fixed one really annoying bug that has existed for years. I can now pan and zoom drawings smoothly on my iPhone and iPad!
  • Options
    jacob_kelley486jacob_kelley486 Member Posts: 9
    This update seems to have removed all the keyboard shortcuts for me. I'm on Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, using Firefox 122.0 browser if that is at all useful. I often use "i" for coincident, "e" for equal, "d" for dimension in drawings, and "ctrl+z" to undo, among others. Even when I hover over the buttons, which usually says what the shortcut is, it doesn't say what the shortcuts are anymore, as if there never existed in the first place. Should this be something I post somewhere else?
  • Options
    Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 56 PRO
    @3d.2 I'm having a similary issue. It'll probably be handled soon. But I inserted a rigid part studio and after making a few changes some parts that were'nt deleted are missing from the assembly. They are missing even if you re insert that studio as rigid which may be a clue. I'm sure this will be handled soon.
  • Options
    3d.23d.2 Member Posts: 11 PRO
    edited February 7
    3d.2 said:
    Some things seem to be broken in the new rigid PS insertion feature.
    -First of all, once a rigid PS is inserted into a sub-assy, before doing any constraints or fixing it doesn't indicate that the group has degrees of freedom. However the parts that are mated to it in this sub-assy are correctly shown as having DOFs. If you then insert this sub-assy into a higher level assembly, everything seems to work fine.
    -If you do fix the rigid PS group or mate it to the origin in the sub-assy, if inserted into a higher level assembly, this sub-assembly then loses its grouping, parts fly apart and mates start dropping errors.
    -Also, I'm not able to replicate the specific case, but at least in one case some Frame parts are not being inserted with the rigid PS.

Either way, once fixed it's going to be a critical long awaited feature. I've lost too many hours updating my assemblies for new parts and cleaning un red parts. :)

@3d.2 I'm having a similary issue. It'll probably be handled soon. But I inserted a rigid part studio and after making a few changes some parts that were'nt deleted are missing from the assembly. They are missing even if you re insert that studio as rigid which may be a clue. I'm sure this will be handled soon.
    Fixing or mating the rigid PS group to origin seems to be working today and doesn't cause the parts to become un-grouped in a higher level assy.
    -Still doesn't indicate that the group has degrees of freedom even if not fixed or mated anywhere.
    -Still doesn't insert or update some parts in some cases which I'm not able to replicate.
    Can't wait to start fully using this feature once fixed.
  • Options
    Sarang_KandekarSarang_Kandekar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 2
    Hi Chris,
    Could you please get in touch with support team and share the use case where the parts are missing in rigid part studio even if they are not deleted from part studio.
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    All of these are very much improving everyday usability. Can't actually say which one I love best, only time can tell. Great!
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,724 PRO
    edited February 8

I was so focused on the Vision Pro update that I missed some of the others :lol:
    Parametric rigid part studio inserts into assemblies!!! This changes everything.

This is fantastic, thank you team!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 95 PRO
    Really happy with the updates! I have found something that seems restrict the usefulness of the rigid part studio in some instances, specifically when having previously added entities of only one type (only parts for example and needing to add a second type (composite part for example). See my improvement request for more details: Update Rigid Part Studio Filters — Onshape.
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,724 PRO

Hats off to whoever wrote the Bend tool. It has some nice options  B)

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    Good update, I think there should be a disclaimer with that rigid video though. Even though you could add all those gussets should you add just one? It looks like you had 4 new parts in the BOM even though they are all actually the same part.
  • Options
    ken_xuken_xu Member Posts: 6 PRO
    "Parametric Part Studio" (insert part studio as "Rigid") seems to be limited  to static groups of parts.  Part additions or deletions propagate from Part Studio to Assembly, but wouldn't it be great if those individual parts could subsequently mated to allow controlled degrees of freedom?  "Rigid" is a great tool for limited applications.

The underlying core functionality is part associativity.  I would prefer to see an option to select Rigid/Free.
    before this feature, if you insert a complete part studio, the parts are "free" after insertion.
  • Options
    ken_xuken_xu Member Posts: 6 PRO
    don_b said:
    "Rigid"   Somewhat confused....I thought the way one should design here is one part one part studio....so now you are encouraging multi-part studios?.... 
    speaking from experience , if some parts are very much related , it's better to model them in one part studio, much better than in context editing, and you can change one master sketch to drive them all.