Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using midpoint to align entities

I cannot seem to make 'midpoint' work in any useful manner.  If I select a tool, selecting the midpoint tool deselects the first tool.  For example:

1. I draw a construction line perpendicular to a line segment.  I want to align (move) the construction line onto the midpoint of the line segment.  Nothing works.
2. I want to draw a 3 point arc with the center of the arc aligned with the midpoint of a line segment.  Any attempt to select the arc and the midpoint cancels the arc selection.  Same with a circle.

How can this be accomplished?

Answers

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Select a point on the object you want to move then the line for midpoint ref. then use midpoint tool.

Or select the midpoint tool then the line and center point of circle. Arc/line is already drawn.
    no need to hunt down mid point of construction line.

Mid point isn't always selectable when drawing an object.

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    fun note here, midpoint also works if you select 3 points. It'll make them all fall on a line with one in the center.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    neil_prestonneil_preston Member Posts: 12
    I couldn't get the 3 point method to work either.

This is what I want to do, and I find that I frequently want to do it.  The blue line is the X axis. I want to center the red rectangle on the X axis.  I tried dimensioning the distance from the end to the X axis at 8 mm, but it errored out with the message "sketch could not be solved." (That's why it's still red.)

It seems that I should be able to select the midpoint tool, then select a line to define the midpoint, then use the 'coincident' tool to bring them together.

Is there another way to do this?

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,413
    Draw a centerpoint rectangle or use the symmetry constraint, otherwise you'll have to create a point constrained to the midpoint then use that.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    neil_prestonneil_preston Member Posts: 12
    Thanks, Neil.  I did use the centerpoint rectangle which solved this issue.

However, I often need to center a line on a construction line or an axis or other similar structure.
    It seems like I ought to be able to use the midpoint tool to identify the midpoint of a line, then use the coincident tool to align it with the construction line, or an axis, or other line.

What methods can be used to do this?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,413
    Just the second part of my last post. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI