Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

A company to transition from Solidworks

2»

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    as for the above video on "Migration to Solid Edge"...yes, I see its value...but in my case the company drawings that I have been tasked with are in bad shape organizationally wise...drawings are poorly done and there is nothing I want to keep as is...& things are named poorly in the original Solidworks files...

Also I just found out that the BOM are kept in excel and are not part of the SW universe...so its a real mess.

So since this is going to be a slow slow process then I am ok with redrawing everything (as I go) and cleaning things up...this is going to force me to question why things are the way they are and see if I can refine anything.
    That tends to by my opinion for most repeat projects too.
    Every time I revisit an older job you tend to wonder how it even made it through release...
    There are only a hand full of projects here that we can (with confidence) release just by updating the release date and printing.
    For the most part we tend to re-draw most things from scratch even within the same CAD system.
    So all this auto import stuff just never really sat right with me, as I know I would spend more time cleaning up garbage from an importer, when I could have made a more parametric model that is more intuitive to modify.

Although, that video was kind of a mind blow if I'm being honest... Way better than what SW has
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Sounds like a lot more fun than running some boring migration tool over and over again =)

In general, I don't see a reason why Onshape would build a migration tool for say Solid works. Solid works is just one cad among many, it had it's moments and became popular. But it's not any sort of 'industry standard' that should be supported by others.
    They all should have full support for Step AP 242 and use that for collaboration until Onshape drags others into cloud too and we need new Step Cloud Protocol.
    I do agree that it would be nice if models/drawigns could be moved between systems maintaining history & other data, but I strongly disagree that format would be solid works file system. IMHO.

//rami
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    3dcad said:

They all should have full support for Step AP 242 and use that for collaboration until Onshape drags others into cloud too and we need new Step Cloud Protocol.

It would be great to see a standard that supports export of models and linked drawings if that is possible rather than just 3d models. I think this would be a better route than support one of the systems. However, then it would require systems to be programmed to support the standard for export which is only purely in place to swap systems so probably will never happen as it makes it easier for customers to move to an alternative system.

For me using the PDF of an old drawing and then redrawing when drawing needs to be updated has become the norm. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977