Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Creating a Partial Thread

ethan_1ethan_1 Member Posts: 17 EDU
Has anyone had any luck creating a partial thread. Meaning I don't want the helix to go the entire way down the cylinder, say only and inch down. See picture attached.

Best Answer

Answers

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @ethan_1 I would make a reference cylinder only an inch long to generate the helix and then hide it after creating the helix. hth 
  • cadmandocadmando Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Create 2 Cylinders, one for the threaded part and one for the Black Part, Sketch the second on the end of the first.
    Hope this helps, happy OS'ing

Graham
    See 'Partial Thread' Doc in the Public Doc's
    Hi Nav
    Well done with the method, I am not sure how to take a snapshot of the screen and post it to the forum, anyway I only gave the basic information, left it for @ethan to work through it alone, I learn thing better that way.

Are there instructions any ware which explains how to take snapshots and Publish to the forum, I must learn how to do this for the future.

Graham
    Did a search on snapshot and found a good description of the method by 3Dcad, so will give it a go.
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @cadmando if you are on a MAC you can take screenshots using :
    1. Press Command (⌘)-Shift-3. (whole screen) / (⌘)-Shift-4 (Part of your screen)
    2. Find the screenshot as a .png file on your desktop.
    In windows you a can always use Print Screen and in paint crop the image some windows versions come with tools to take snapshots you can google them, or install one.

To upload an image to the forum see image below:

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
    Thanks Nav, I use Windows have used the method by 3Dcad, will try your way in Paint to crop out unwanted area

Graham
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @cadmando Are you familiar with windows snipping tool? There you can draw area and it's immediately on your clipboard - you can also draw or highlight things and save to file. It's pretty nice tool.
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "Snipping Tool" is indeed a great feature (introduced in Windows 7) - but one tip for serious use:

If you plan to use the commenting features mentioned by @3dcad , it pays to save the snip first, because there is no "Undo" within the tool. If I have several edits (particularly freehanding with the mouse) and I don't want it to look amateurish, I save again after each successful addition.

This is a perplexing omission. It's not just the menu command they've omitted, Control-Z doesn't work, either.  Microsoft - late to the table and forgetting the salt... sheesh!.

No 3Dcad, I didn't know about the snipping tool, I have just found it and given it a go, looks a great tool for creating a quick snapshot, I will try it next time, THANKS for the tip

Graham
  • stg434stg434 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    nav said:
    Hi @cadmando if you are on a MAC you can take screenshots using :
    1. Press Command (⌘)-Shift-3. (whole screen) / (⌘)-Shift-4 (Part of your screen)
    2. Find the screenshot as a .png file on your desktop.
    In windows you a can always use Print Screen and in paint crop the image some windows versions come with tools to take snapshots you can google them, or install one.

To upload an image to the forum see image below:

If you use CMD+SHIFT+CTRL+4 the image will be on the Clipboard rather than fetching a file.  For further mods you can use the Preview app + paste then use the markup tools to annotate etc.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    I upload screenshots by dragging them from my folder into the text area here.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @jakeramsley ( @lougallo ) It would be nice if screenshots could be inserted from clipboard without saving them..
    //rami
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @3dcad The uploader needs to point to a file so it can be uploaded.  I will check if this can be done.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Hi ethan_1,
    I have one workaround method in which no need to make two cylinder. Make helix on cyinder and perform transform operation to translate helix. Now user can use this helix to get desired partial thread.

• shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    viru,your method is very good , I used it for creating partial thread in my models just now,thanks for sharing! But I also hope we can define the values of "count" and "pitch" at the same time directly, namely creat a partial thread directly,maybe it is more convenient!

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shanshan: I agree: this is definitely a workaround to accommodate a helix feature which is not yet fully implemented.

It is not desirable to have a curve which extends into "free" space, because it does not reflect design intent.