Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Help with Screw Relation

c_harshac_harsha Member Posts: 15 PRO
Hello,

I have a linear rail assembly (with two rails, 1 motor) as shown in figure. The screw has revolute mate with motor (different subassembly in same document), the carriage has slider mate with the rail (different subassembly in same document). I have placed all remaining parts like nut (not visible in image) fastened to Part-A. Part-A is fastened to the carriage. the motor and rails are fixed to same part in main assembly.

Note: Part-A is the part that slides on two carriages.

Now I want to achieve screw relation between screw and nut. When I use cylindrical mate between them, I have it as over-constrained mate. So, I try Screw relation between revolute and slider mates of screw and carriage respectively, I have a message saying 'screw relation requires cylindrical mate'.

can someone please help me achieve this screw relation and figure out the problem I am facing?  

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    Hi @chandra_yerra is it possible to post a link to the document? If you can't make it public, you can share it with me (with edit permissions) and I will take a look for you (ncooke "at" onshape "dot" com).  POst the URL here when it is public and/or shared with me, thanks.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    c_harshac_harsha Member Posts: 15 PRO
    hi @NeilCooke, I can't make the document public. I shared the document with you though share feature.

here is the link
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5cdd854320cba925475068f1/w/73bffbe1a965b56034a2c889/e/22a449e5f39e6ac84f830d40

Thank you
  • Options
    nicolas_duhamelnicolas_duhamel Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Hi,

I believe I have a similar problem. I have three parts (A, B, C), two of them (A and B) have a screw relation with the third one (C) (different pitch and direction), and they also have a slider relation together (A and B). I get an "overdefined" error but I don't understand why.

Here's a link to my assembly : https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a20d9e10264ee291b5ec3d7b/w/4dca1bea0b3bbfc9615b3e6d/e/fb2d639fa8acbd3151a082a0?configuration=default

I have also added ncooke "at" onshape "dot" com to the editors of this assembly.

Thanks for your help !
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    hi nicolas_duhamel,

Glancing over at your document, I believe the issue is that cylindrical 3 and slider 2 mates serve the same purpose, causing it to be over defined when adding in the rotation of the screw mate relations.  The Carré and the Barillet bas can't feasibly rotate, offset, and stay in alignment all at the same time.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    edited June 2019
    @nicolas_duhamel the limits on Cylindrical 3 were preventing it from moving - I removed them and now it works.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI