Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I remove a portion of an extruded face, but not all of it.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,374
    Not really sure what you are asking? Please review this check list for a prompt response: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklist
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    mark_rogers151mark_rogers151 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2019
    I am trying to remove the highlighted part in the screenshot. The tab on the end of the part needs to slope down, which I am trying to achieve by removing the highlighted section.

Something like in the picture attached.

If I delete the faces then I am left with a hollow section and I can't work out how to do have keep the sloping face solid. I have posted the url to the document below:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1c21705814bea17ac845277f/w/e95dd9c41a03966e558cf5b9/e/95a051408414fb48bdd2a318
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.
    1 draw a sketch on the flat front face of your part 
    2 Project the outline of the face with the "Use" feature.
    3 Add a line in the sketch where your want the cut.
    4 extrude the triangular sketch region with the following parameters "remove" "up to face" and select the back face of that tab.
    Does that make sense? If not I'm sure someone will demonstrate.
    Cheers, Owen.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    @mark_rogers151, it seems like you're pretty new to CAD modeling. It's helpful to learn by doing, but it would also help to get you up to speed on the basics. Going through the Onshape fundamentals tutorials would probably answer a lot of your questions. 

Learning Center
  • Options
    mark_rogers151mark_rogers151 Member Posts: 3
    Perfect...Thanks John. That was so simple.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
     ;)