Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

External Editor

brettmcginbrettmcgin Member Posts: 2
Hello,

Is it possible to open FeatureScripts in an external editor (vs code, sublime, etc)?

Comments

• kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 442
    There isn't an easy way of doing this.

Ideally, we want to make the experience editing FeatureScript inside a Feature Studio great. Feature Studios have some nice features that an offline editor would be missing, like autocomplete of all your imported libraries, versioning with your onshape documents, and automatic rebuilding of Part Studios when you commit.

If your favorite editor has specific features that you'd like Onshape Feature Studios to also support, please submit an improvement request!
  • lougallolougallo Member, Administrator, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,660
    If your really itching i can share my python script to push and pull the fs  code to a local editor. As was stated, many of the goodies are not going to be on the local editor. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • brettmcginbrettmcgin Member Posts: 2
    I get that there are features that simply won't work in an external editor, and thanks for posting. I think people tend to get really use to editors and having the option to sync with a local file would be awesome, or even an api that we could hook into to make a good experience in Vs Code or similar tools.

I would love to check out the python code, much appreciated.