Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

CAD Question

adam_peasleyadam_peasley Member Posts: 4
I'm getting started on my first CAD design but, I was wondering how can I make use of my imported files when starting?

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi. Well that rather depends on what you're importing. A jpg image, a DXF drawing, a 3D scan, 3d parts from a vendor? We will need a little more to go on to be able to offer any meaningful suggestions.
    Cheers Owen.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @adam_peasley

Here is a help page about importing into Onshape: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/uploadfiles.htm

You can import into a new document on the documents page by pressing the "Create" button and then "Import files" or "Import from" (the latter imports from google docs or dropbox)

You can import from inside an existing document by pressing the "+" button in the bottom corner and then "Import"
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • adam_peasleyadam_peasley Member Posts: 4
    Hi. Well that rather depends on what you're importing. A jpg image, a DXF drawing, a 3D scan, 3d parts from a vendor? We will need a little more to go on to be able to offer any meaningful suggestions.
    Cheers Owen.
    Cheers Owen.
    They are 3D scans that I have already imported over into onshape, I just want to use them for my CAD work.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited April 2019
    You should be able to build off of any imported part just like any other part in Onshape (sketch, extrude, etc).

If you need to modify the original import (if it is a solid part, not a mesh) then you could use the direct edit tools available like Move face, Delete Face, Transform, Modify Fillet, etc.

What exactly are you trying to do with your imported part?

How did it import? Mesh, Solid, or Surface?
    What did you expect it to import as?
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @billy2 has shown off a number of motorcycle parts made by scanning the part of the motorcycle and then modeling based off of the scans:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/11483/turn-signal-design
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10783/fender-eliminator

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited April 2019
    I have the same question @john_mcclaryMesh, Solid, or Surface?

If you're imports are organic, then aligning the mesh is your 1st step.
    If you're imports are prismatic (non-organic), then I'd work on converting them into solids.

Meshes are more difficult to work with than solids and worth the time to convert. I'd even try to find a solid representation of your import vs. building them.

Showing us a screen capture of your imports will tell us what your best steps are to moving forward.