Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is Dimensioning the only way to set lines?

MichaelangeloMichaelangelo Member Posts: 1
Is dimension the only way to label and set a line? How do I simply draw and say how long of a line to draw instead of going to the dimensioning feature and labeling everything later? I would like to do it on the fly quickly...

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Michaelangelo using the dimensioning feature is the only way for the moment to dimension a sketch. You can submit your proposal to OS suggesting this. See post below.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1261/improvement-requests-category-has-launched-voting-open#latest
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    Michaelangelo, you can find the length of line without dimension that. Just select required line then bottom right side you can find the length of line. 

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Great tip @3dcad thanks for sharing I rarely use shortcuts and they are very useful.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @nav @3dcadshortcut key's are an absolute must for fast workflow. I use them all the time, good idea to get familiar.

My fav's are:
    s for sketch
    n for normal
    l for line 
    r for rectangle
    c for circle
    d for dim
    shift+e for extrude
    p to hide planes
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I have saved D, N, I -buttons to my 3dconnexion hotkeys since they are my favorites in sketching. It will be very nice after they publish the driver.

Remember also that when you press hotkey again it will disable tool, so if you have your finger on D you can use doubletap to disable any tool without mouse.
    //rami
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    It would still be good to have dimension tool at the curser when sketching, leaving you in the line command but with ability to set dimension on the fly before continuing with the next line.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    3dcad said (in DIMENSIONS WHILE SKETCHING):

I would like and use this feature a lot! Alibre/Geomagic does this for lines and circles and I remember some solidcad dimension also rectangles/ellipses. It's a great time saver not having to pick up dimension tool every time.

This is what I would like to see (line, circle, rectangle, ellipse, polygon, arc + all future geometries): 

Click first point, live dimension shows up giving you understanding of the length/size

- 1. move with mouse and click, dimensions disappear and sketch is exactly like it is now.
    OR
    - 1. input first dimension or line length/circle diameter and hit enter, circle would be finished but with other geometry mouse would still move line angle or rectangle/ellipse 2nd direction, showing live dimension for angle or rectangle 2nd dir - mouse click finishes with only one dimension

- 2. input 2nd dimension or angle value and hit enter, line is finished but rectangle/ellipse moves with mouse and angle is showing - mouse click ends without angle

- 3. input angle for rectangle/ellipse and hit enter - finished

It difficult to put in words, but main idea is to always show dimensions while sizing any geometry. And give opportunity to quickly input one or more dimension directly into sketch without selecting specific tool. If dimensions are not given, behavior would be same as now but more informative.

When we have some more settings, there could be place for 'Always add dimension in sketch' which would create driven dimensions if no input is made during geometry creation ie. geometry is defined just using mouse or constrained to other geometry/reference.

//rami