Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Boolean parts configured in assembly

robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
The next step in making a servo operated blast gate is adding electronics that will be mounted on the back side of the gate assembly. I have inserted parts from other documents into the assembly. Since the orientations of the parts were different I rotated where need to get them all oriented the same and then used planar mates for alignment. That being done, I created a new part based on the parts' arrangement to use as a surrounding base, intending to unite it with the shells that surround the controller pcb and the connector blocks and for the leds mount. Ideally, I would like to boolean them (the base and shells) together as they are in the assembly but that option is not available. I read another post expressing the same desire and the recommendation was to create a new part studio and derive all the parts needed into it and do the boolean operations there. I can do that but I see no way to derive the parts from the assembly so I can preserve the parts' configuration; I can only derive from a parts studio that has no configuration/relationship betwixt the parts. What method should be used? Thanks, Scotty.

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,377
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thanks for the link. I tried various instructions within that page a half dozen times reading through it again and again, trying to find something that worked for me. I was unsuccessful; perhaps I'm just dense. My initial solution was to place mate connectors on the parts I wanted to boolean to a new part. I then created the new part in context based on those other parts and placed mate connectors on it referencing the mate connectors on the other parts. In the new part studio I derived the other parts and was able to transform them by mate connectors, ending up with all the parts located in the same positions as in the assembly and then booleaned them all together.  However, I did find this post<b> </b><a rel="nofollow" href="https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/3425/make-new-part-based-on-assembly" title="Link: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/3425/make-new-part-based-on-assembly">https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/3425/make-new-part-based-on-assembly</a> <b>which allowed me to take all the parts in the assembly and place them in a part studio where I could perform the boolean(s). </b><br>
    <br>
    <b>- Scotty</b><br>
    <br>
    P.S. After I inserted the link, this is the font that is inserted in this post.<br>
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited December 2019
    I'm looking at your model and I'm having a hard time following it's structure. How was it composed and put together? What's it suppose to do? Whats the design intent? Where are the datums? What's important?

Firstly, I assume blast gate is the top. 

What are all the other tabs used for? Servo Parts, whats that all about?

I'd try and organize your stuff a little better:

So I took blast gate and moved it to the right, which to me is the top assy and the entry point to your data structure. I put your sub assy's into a folder called "sub assy", put your parts into "parts", deleted "sander" and left "abandoned" not sure what to do with this.

In parts I made a folder called "boolean" and moved all of your boolean work into this folder.

For me, the part folder is typically a mess and I don't manage them. I don't derive much and don't have your issues with the booleans that you're working with.

I typically focus on top-assy and sub-assys. My projects are much larger than yours and my assembly structures are deeper than yours. I know what "top" is for a project and understand how it'll inherit into another project.

Looking at your top assy, "blast gate", I wonder why you have a planar mate? Seems like it should be fixed. I was looking for a revolve mate, but didn't find it. Possibly you are bring it in with your "servo parts", but you don't use this. Why does "servo parts" exist?

Scotty, I don't mean to be rude, but when you're putting this together, you're architecting a structure. It's important that you do it so others can follow. This will help you too.

There's not a problem, there are many smaller issues. Get it organized.

Keep working on it, it's needly badly in the industry and will make you a better CAD user.

• Options
    Thanks for your input, it is appreciated. I'm relatively new to 3D modeling and never do work for anyone but myself, friends, & family. I am slowly realizing better approaches to the workflow and organization. I'm 70; hope to be much improved when I am 80. - Scotty
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    It won't take till your 80. Just keep going, you're asking the right questions and you're on the right path.

I spend a lot of time organizing projects so they'll scale up and still be organized. I'm also involved with a lot of engineers and trying to get them to standardize, include all things necessary and mostly how to construct an engineering layout.

When starting a design, think about the top. What's the top level look like? Think about the bottom and accumulating things. Once you know the top & bottom then fill in between.

I like to include everything that'll influence the design. To me it's an engineering layout with an assembly enclosed. 

The hard part, making it so everyone understands it all.

Scotty, you're doing well and you're closer than you might think. 

Keep going.....

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Very nice