Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Ipad Pro : full version Onshape?

Please take advantage of the powerfull ipad pro and improve the ipad app so its more similar to the desktop/webbrowser app.
Right now it feels more like the Iphone app then a full CAD program.:/
And even though you »can» run onshape in the ipad safari browser, the touch and pencil navigation is not working at all. 

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    The iPad app is a mobile app. That's why it feels like one.

I think the issue was with the mobile browsers not having enough support, which is why Onshape created an app instead. Just feel lucky you are on an IOS device, us android users don't get as much as you all.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited February 2020
    I quite liked the android app, especially how quickly documents open. 
    Wierd thing happened at the weekend.  I accidentally clicked on an onshape document link rather than the forum link, in Android Chrome... ...and the document opened.  Going to the "System Check" reported everything was awful but the file opened just fine and the model rebuilt to the end of the feature tree. :D
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Well the mobile browser will open the doc, but you can't do some things like right click parts, orbit view..

I jump into both the browser and app when mobile, because there are things the app can't do like edit featurescript. Etc. So two partial apps work together to get you 75% up to par with the desktop browser.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    That I didn't know. Cheers John.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    I sometimes connect a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard to my phone and use Onshape through the Chrome browser if I need a fuller feature set than what the app provides. This works surprisingly smoothly, and all of the mouse stuff (including right click) and keyboard shortcuts "just work." Funnily enough, the framerate is much better in the browser than in the app, and I can open a lot of assemblies which refuse to open in the app.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    How did you get right click to work, I coudn't get my bluetooth mouse right click to do anything except simulate the 'home' button on android 
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    @alnis_smidchens that does surprise me. Can you post a screenshot of https://cad.onshape.com/check and if you can, a video of how interactive it is? Generally, mobile browsers don’t support WebGL so the performance should be terrible. 

The apps use the devices’ graphics card so should be much better. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Well, it looks like the latest Android update broke compatibility with my phone for the Bluetooth mouse I have and it no longer shows the pointer :neutral:. The Bluetooth keyboard works alright still (almost all of the shortcuts work and I can navigate the view with the arrow keys). I had a USB-C OTG cable lying around and I remember that working with another mouse, but I'm having trouble finding it right now. I'll give it another look tomorrow.

In any case, I was able to kind of show it working by using follow mode and controlling the view from my laptop. Modern problems require modern solutions! Here is a link to a very low quality video of the screen: https://youtu.be/jwZFR4s-kmA (using a screen recorder on my phone was too much for it, so I had to record using a Surface with a very bad camera, so that's why the video quality is terrible). This is the document I'm showing it with (an Autodesk example file for Inventor :smiley:): https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2d820718d727610f25541174/w/fea556e2adfd59d66295e9ed/e/9c3949e61920f96f21171fd8 When I tried to open this model in the app, it was impossible to move or rotate it because the framerate was so low that dragging one finger would constantly pull up the precision selector gizmo.

On the performance check, my phone (Nokia 6.1) scores 11-12 million triangles per second, my laptop 30-37 million triangles per second, and if I remember correctly, the last time I tried it, my mom's phone (Pixel 2) scored something like 50 or 60 million triangles per second. Here are the results of a performance check on my phone (using request desktop site):

Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    edited February 2020
    On my iPhone 8 using the app, that model rotates really smooth, no lag at all. The check for me says not compatible (iOS) but with 180m triangles and 32m lines. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    I still haven't found the cable :'(. The mobile app performance hasn't really been an issue, I just haven't been able to easily show my bigger projects on my phone. It would be really nice if the view could be more easily manipulated with a touchscreen on the web version because that would open so many possibilities with using tablets and phones with Onshape. Honestly, everything can be done pretty easily on the Surface just using the touchscreen except for manipulating the view with the current system. It could definitely be a big selling point that the full web version can be used with just a touchscreen on iPads, Surfaces, 2-in-1 laptops, etc.
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    @alnis_smidchens that does surprise me. Can you post a screenshot of https://cad.onshape.com/check and if you can, a video of how interactive it is? Generally, mobile browsers don’t support WebGL so the performance should be terrible. 

The apps use the devices’ graphics card so should be much better. 
    @NeilCooke I tried out Onshape using Safari on my new iPad Pro 11 inch with iPadOS 13.x instead of the app. I am using the Magic Keyboard with trackpad and get the following performance test results. Not as good as my i9 equipped 2018 15" MacBook Pro (about ½ for both performance measures), but much better than the 2015 MacBook Air I used to have. The only issue is you can't zoom using a 2-finger slide on the trackpad like I should be able to.

• Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    For comparison purposes only. Here are my results from a 2020 iPad Pro 11 inch (with Apple GPU) using Safari and a 2018 MacBook Pro 15 inch with AMD and a 6-core i9 processor and 16GB of RAM using Safari.

• Options
    pierremtbpierremtb Member Posts: 1
    @brian_brady I feel like cad.onshape.com is so close to becoming 100% usable on the iPad (Pro)! I worked around zooming with z/shift+z. Sometimes the rendering isn’t stellar and I noticed a weird cursor shift but I’m crossing my fingers for the future. With the new iPad Air the segment is actually getting larger, especially in a “edu” setting. For now I’m still remote controlling an old desktop computer through Jump (amazing service) for my current designs, but would love to switch to native iPad asap.